Tiki Cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Tiki Cat?

As I mentioned in another tread, I'm switching to wet and right now I'm trying to Tiki Cat. Can anyone who understands more about cat nutrition tell me if this a good food or not? It doesn't advertise as grain-free, but I think that's because some of them are on rice. Also, a majority of their flavors are types of fish. Is fish ok or are other types of meat better for cats? They do have a couple chicken flavors.

Petropics - Tiki Cat, Tiki Dog, Tiki Bird, Tiki FurBalls - For the Pets We Love
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tiki Cat is an awesome food. Yes, there are some flavors that are not grain free, but rice is one of the most benign grains and it's not a major source of the protein in the food, it's also not a major carb source in this food. If your cat doesn't have an issue with grains, I wouldn't be too concerned abut it.

Fish is something that should not be a major part of a cats diet....using a primarily fish flavor once or twice a week is the max I would recommend. Use it in rotation with other brands/flavors.

The Tiki chicken flavors are a favorite in my house. They're expensive, but the can is packed with white meat and very little juice (as opposed to Weruva which is cheaper but is at least half gravy).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for the info! One of the samples I was given was a chicken with salmon, and Lexi just gobbled it up.

What are other premium brands that are NOT pate? Lexi doesn't like pate, that's why Tiki Cat was suggested.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My girls don't like pate either. The other non-pate brands that I have fed in the past include Weruva, Wellness (pouches) and Merrick.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Natural Balance now makes non-pate pouches too, and most are grain-free. My girls just gobble them down, so they get 3 paws up! I can find them at Petco, and they are cheaper then the Wellness pouches. I think there are like 8 different flavors...my girls favorites are the Chicken and Chicken Liver and the Turkey, Duck, and Chicken one.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
Time Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
My girls don't like pate either. The other non-pate brands that I have fed in the past include Weruva, Wellness (pouches) and Merrick.
What Merrick flavors do you feed, Susan? Rocky doesn't like the pate kind either, but he seemed to like the before grain from Merrick, and that's juicy pate.
Rocky_Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
What Merrick flavors do you feed, Susan? Rocky doesn't like the pate kind either, but he seemed to like the before grain from Merrick, and that's juicy pate.
Ah...now that's why I said "in the past". I used to feed them several Merrick flavors, but they were both fish (I think one was called Ocean Grill, another was Surf & Turf, and I think the other was "California Roll" or something like that). However, last year, my girls went on a "hunger strike" when I stopped feeding them fish. Little devils! I finally solved that problem, but I now no longer feed them any fish-flavored foods. So, these days, they only get Weruva or Wellness (and only the non-fish flavors). If your cats are ok with getting fish every once in a while then you should be fine, but I fear if my girls get fish even once, they will then refuse everything else. So, they lead a fish-less life!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Ah...now that's why I said "in the past". I used to feed them several Merrick flavors, but they were both fish (I think one was called Ocean Grill, another was Surf & Turf, and I think the other was "California Roll" or something like that). However, last year, my girls went on a "hunger strike" when I stopped feeding them fish. Little devils! I finally solved that problem, but I now no longer feed them any fish-flavored foods. So, these days, they only get Weruva or Wellness (and only the non-fish flavors). If your cats are ok with getting fish every once in a while then you should be fine, but I fear if my girls get fish even once, they will then refuse everything else. So, they lead a fish-less life!
I actually used to feed Rocky more fish flavors prior to reading about in this forum how addicted to the fish flavors they can become; so, i pulled back on the fish flavors, and he predominantly eats chicken now. I would like to also have him be on some turkey, quail, and other proteins. I'm going food shopping for him today, so i'm going to figure out some good things to get him Perhaps some Wellness, does that come in non-pate?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Perhaps some Wellness, does that come in non-pate?
The pouches do, yes. They come highly recommended by my girls, as well as the Natural Balance pouches.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
Time Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
The pouches do, yes. They come highly recommended by my girls, as well as the Natural Balance pouches.
Thank you for your recommendations I'll have to give the pouches a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement