Furminator -- Is it good? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Furminator -- Is it good?

I have two long-haired cats and, of course, they shed. I heard some good things about the Furminator brush so was considering to buy one. Then I went to the pet store and the price tag on that little purple brush stunned me. $45 for a brush?! Is it really worth the price? Anyone who has it, could you share some opinions? If its really that good, I'll go for it. Thanks a lot!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It really IS that good! You wouldn't believe how much fur comes off your cat with this thing - all the undercoat and loose fur that gets stuck. I bought the "small" one for cats under 10 lbs because Bella was 7 lbs when I got her - but I wished I had bought the larger one so I don't have to do that many swipes with it. And make sure you get the one for long hair! They have 2 - one for long and one for short hair.

If you watch the Petco website, they have 40% off everything, etc. online and that's how I got mine. I'm going to get the big one at some point.
princessbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I love the furminator, but only for short-coated dogs and cats. Long coats can be damaged by the tool since it can actually cut the longer hair instead of pulling out the dead coat at the skin. Also it can easily irritate skin with over-use. It should be used with a very very light hand and no more than few swipes in the same spot before taking a break from that area.

At work I offer a de-shedding treatment for long-haired cats (and dogs) but use a took called a de-shedding "rake" my favorite being the Mars Coat King. It is designed to penetrate the longer coat to get to the undercoat at the skin. It is dull so it won't cut the hair (which damages it) and is much less likely to irritate the skin. Regular bath and blow dry grooming appointments can also reduce shedding a lot (especially the blow dry which loosens dead coat and then it is combed/brushed out). I also would follow any brushing with a fine-tooth comb which will also pull out a lot of dead coat as well (I love my Chris Christiensen Cat Comb).
NJgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I used it on my mom's 3 cats, when I was back home after the earthquake here in March, and she has noticed MUCH LESS hair floating around her one bedroom apt. The cats LOVE it and practically run at her when she picks up the brush. :3

I have used it on a long-coated cat before, and while he didn't SAY he liked it, he definitely showed it.
its.alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbear View Post
It really IS that good! You wouldn't believe how much fur comes off your cat with this thing - all the undercoat and loose fur that gets stuck. I bought the "small" one for cats under 10 lbs because Bella was 7 lbs when I got her - but I wished I had bought the larger one so I don't have to do that many swipes with it. And make sure you get the one for long hair! They have 2 - one for long and one for short hair.

If you watch the Petco website, they have 40% off everything, etc. online and that's how I got mine. I'm going to get the big one at some point.
Thanks for the opinion! I do noticed different types of brushes for long-haired and short-haired, but frankly, aside from the color of the handle, I cannot see any difference.. Maybe the secret is hidden inside? My friend offered to lend me his Furminator to try it out first, but his brush is for short-haired dogs, so I'm not sure if that hand-on experience is helpful...

As of size of the brush, actuall I prefer smaller ones. Yes, there are more work with small brush, but I can easily reach small corners or narrow areas, like under armpit, the furry butt, top of head between ears... But it's just me. I guess we all have different ways/preferences of brushing our furry friends
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgroomer View Post
I love the furminator, but only for short-coated dogs and cats. Long coats can be damaged by the tool since it can actually cut the longer hair instead of pulling out the dead coat at the skin. Also it can easily irritate skin with over-use. It should be used with a very very light hand and no more than few swipes in the same spot before taking a break from that area.

At work I offer a de-shedding treatment for long-haired cats (and dogs) but use a took called a de-shedding "rake" my favorite being the Mars Coat King. It is designed to penetrate the longer coat to get to the undercoat at the skin. It is dull so it won't cut the hair (which damages it) and is much less likely to irritate the skin. Regular bath and blow dry grooming appointments can also reduce shedding a lot (especially the blow dry which loosens dead coat and then it is combed/brushed out). I also would follow any brushing with a fine-tooth comb which will also pull out a lot of dead coat as well (I love my Chris Christiensen Cat Comb).
It's nice to have some suggestions from a pro groomer I live in Canada and I don't remember seeing the Mars Coat King or Chris Christiensen here. But I will search for it. For the fine-tooth comb, the ones I saw in the store are those flea combs. I remeber hearing someone says we shouldn't use flea comb on cats if there is no flea. No sure if that's true...
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.alice View Post
I used it on my mom's 3 cats, when I was back home after the earthquake here in March, and she has noticed MUCH LESS hair floating around her one bedroom apt. The cats LOVE it and practically run at her when she picks up the brush. :3

I have used it on a long-coated cat before, and while he didn't SAY he liked it, he definitely showed it.
Actually my cats don't shed a lot (except one month in spring). I don't see hair floating in my house It's just I don't want them to eat a lot of loose hair while grooming themselves and then throw up hairballs. My cats don't mind being brushed (I think they actually like it) if I'm not interrupting their play session But they definitely won't run at the brush (wow it's so cute!). It's nice to know brushing with Furminator won't hurt though

Last edited by yingying; 07-21-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar
yingying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The Furminator is awesome! It works wonders on both my longer haired and shorter haired cats. The amount of hair that comes off is insane. XD

The price for one is a little scary. Thankfully I found one on Amazon for under $20...shipped. I suggest you start your search there.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
Time Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

All my cats hated it, so I gave it to my Mom. Her cat likes it.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
The Furminator is awesome! It works wonders on both my longer haired and shorter haired cats. The amount of hair that comes off is insane. XD

The price for one is a little scary. Thankfully I found one on Amazon for under $20...shipped. I suggest you start your search there.
I live in Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have furminator for cats (at least that's last time I checked). I could buy on amazon at us or ebay and have it shipped here, but adding the shipping/handling and extra tax, the price won't be much different :/ Also if my cats don't like it, I assume returnning an item bought online is not that easy?

PS: One bad thing living in Canada is you don't get lots of good deals...
yingying is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement