How to test cat for UTI - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default How to test cat for UTI

How does a vet test for UTI? I am checking if UTI is or isn't the cause of BK's litter box avoidance (pee only). I honestly don't think it is... although I wish it were. Would be a lot easier to correct.
I already have Feliway, diffuser and spray.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
CuteNCraze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The vet needs a urine sample. If the white blood cell count is high and there is bacteria present, then it is likely a UTI and the vet will prescribe an antibiotic, typically Baytril for 14 days. After completion of the treatment, you'll have to get another urine sample and tested.
Ritz just went through this. Let me know if you need more details
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

How do they obtain a urine sample? My appointment is tomorrow and I was not asked to do anything. Do they use a needle? I read they do.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Yes, they puncture the bladder with a needle, that's the only way to obtain a clean sample.

But unless the cat is old it's unlikely to be a UTI, there are other reasons why bladder can get inflamed and peeing can hurt, usually crystals or idiopathic cystitis. If no crystals or bacteria are present but the bladder is inflamed, it's idiopathic and the only treatment is stress reduction and all wet food.
def kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

How would we go about stress reduction? Feliway? I have that......
She is 4 years old. And I don't really think it's UTI, I do think it is stress, but I would feel foolish if I just assumed that and had this problem forever and she did in fact have a UTI.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Stress can cause a whole host of physical problems in animals and humans.
I obtained a urine sample by getting Ritz (female, two years old; rescue cat) to pee on non-absorbant type litter and then using a syringe to get the urine into a plastic jar. Not as hard as it sounds. Plastic seed beads from a craft store work well. Seed beads are very tiny beads, you can sew with them. Or, get special litter from your vet. That way you don't have to take your cat to the vet.
Ritz' first sympton was going in and out of the litter box, nine times in 90 minutes, usually after an initial bit of pooping/peeing. The symptom that got my and the vet's attention was blood on stool. Vet thought it was colitis or a GI distubance and prescribed Flagyl (liquid), which didn't help. Then the vet asked for a urine sample, and that's what pointed to a UTI (high level of white blood cells and bacteria). Ritz has been on Baytril for almost three weeks; last dose is tomorrow. No further "litter box dancing".
Around the time she first started showing symptons was when several repairmen were at my condo, over a seven day period. I rarely have strange people over to my condo so Ritz was freaked out. One of the most common causes of UTI is diet (dry food; with male cats, lots of fish) and stress. Ergo, I think that's what caused Ritz' GI/UTI.
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

thank you, Ritzpg
So blood in the STOOL is a symptom? Never would have guess that. Not for a urinary issue. Or did I read that wrong? I am just taking her to the vet, she is due for annual shots and an exam anyways (actually overdue) so that will all be taken care of today at 5:15

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sooo, this is what happened.. and I should have known...

Bk gets very nervous and pees every time we go to the vet. Well if she pees.... guess who can't have a urine sample??? If I had been smart I wouldnt have given her a towel but I was doing my best to make her comfortable and used feliway, cat nip and treats for the first time... AND I completely covered her carrier with a towel so that she had no clue what was going on. But alas, she still peed. And he said he could not take a urine sample.
So what happened was... he said it sounded like UTI so he treated it that way. He gave her an antibiotic shot and a vitamin C shot and sent me home with some pills that balance the PH of her urine.
she decided to poop on the way home.... so she just got a bath and a serious hair cut near her rear. lol It is a chop job for sure but I did what I could. She has long fur back there and yeah... it's just a mess sometimes. I can see that giving her a UTI for sure. She just does not stay clean back there. So now she is almost shaved. I am sure she looks ridiculous but I am doing everything I can think of.
I hope to God this was the answer for her. I am kenneling her at night for the next week while she recovers (assuming she ever had a UTI) to ensure there are no more accidents.
What a mess.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

BK has her own bedroom now that the foster kittens have left. She cannot be trusted.. she is ruining our furniture. We already threw away our lazyboy couch and she is working on ruining the chair (peed on it 3x now).
So she lives in the spare room now. Her own food, her own litter box etc. And as long we we do this..... I can't foster

Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Did you take her to the vet and have her tested yet? Was it a UTI?

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement