Cat hasn't pooped in 48 hours - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Cat hasn't pooped in 48 hours

Mimi hasn't had a bowel movement since she tried to go Friday evening after coming home from having 3 teeth extracted. She had pretty bad diarrhea when at the vet - before and after surgery - and when she got home she had tried to go, dropped a few tiny balls and was scooting her bum both in the litter and outside the box. Since then - nothing. She is not an every day pooper so I wasn't too worried yesterday when she hadn't pooped, but she normally would have pooped by now (well, what I know as normal since I've only had her three weeks). She's been on antirobe aquadrops for antibiotic since 7 days pre-extracton, but she developed diarrhea so the vet gave me vetri-mega probiotc for her. She's also on .2 ml of buprenorphine 2x a day for pain (last dose is this evening). She is eating fine, and we just had a mega play session. She is urinating fine and has no belly sensitivity when I press and rub her belly. If she hasn't pooped by tomorrow morning, I plan on calling the vet, but am looking for some input. When she first came to live with me, she didn't poop for the whole first 2 days she was here, but has pooped regularly since then (sometimes every day, sometimes every other).

Thanks!
princessbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Poor baby. And poor you.
Antibiotics often cause diarrhea as they kill off the normal flora of the intestine. After having diarrhea, it can take a day or to to get back to normal.
On the other side, pain medicine slows the intestinal movement down. The probiotics work to replace the flora, but can take several days or longer to work.

I would call the vet in the morning if she hasn't passed any stool.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

She's been on the probiotic since last Tuesday evening. I've decided that I'm not giving her the last dose of pain medicine - the vet told me to play it by ear ... so hopefully that will get her back on track. IF I don't find a movement in her litterbox by morning, I will definitely call the vet. My poor girl... I hope this doesn't require ANOTHER trip for her to the vet. She is NOT good in the car - vomiting, etc. My first cat who gets carsick. Plus, like I said, I've only had her 3 weeks and the past 2 have not been fun ones for her. Still, she is the sweetest, most loving, headbutting cat I have ever met.

Thanks for your input Mom of 4.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I know I'm a pumpkin pusher but that's what I'd give. If she eats canned, mix a tsp or two of pureed canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) into her food and mash it all up.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

SHE POOPED!!! About an hour ago - YAY!!! Now I can go to sleep (with her in her usual place in my arms) in peace. YAY!!! Who would have thought my cat pooping would make me so happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement