Waffles just threw up a live roundworm - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Waffles just threw up a live roundworm

We called the emergency vet and they said we shouldn't be worried, but to drop off a fecal to my vet soon, which I had planned on doing tomorrow anyway. He's been treated for worms with Pyrantel, .2cc once a week for three weeks, and we finished the last course this past Thursday. Should I be concerned? I mean that baby was moving! omg gag!

We weren't sure what type it was, but we got a picture and then googled different types of parasites. I've heard of them coming out in his poop, but I've never seen a cat throw one up.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Poor thing! :/ I hope he feels better! Make sure you take the worm to the vet, too. Keep us informed!
Salt and Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

oops... kind of tossed it out... looking more online about roundworms and seeing photos, it was definitely a roundworm... I'm assuming if they find eggs in the fecal that they'll put him on another round of wormer.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I remember this happening with an indoor/outdoor Manx/Russian Blue mix I had. I thought Max was barfing up a hairball and when I saw a wiggly worm, it really grossed me out and I took the worm to the vet and it was identified as a round worm. It looked just like yours. Vet gave me medication to get rid of it, but don't recall the name, but that was a long time ago now.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Poor Waffles! (*shudder*) Hope he feels better soon!

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Ugh, Becky, I'm so sorry! I hope the vet gets Waffles some good meds and kills those worms! Ick!!
Two Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

But you have the picture (ewww) I'm sure with that is more than fine to id the parasite *shudders* plus it does look like tap worm, tho I have to second you on the fact that I've never seen one coming out from vomit... But overall, they are just parasites, I mean, I know they look nasty and the only idea of having that inside...poor little waffles makes me wanna puke. But he'll be ok. Some parasites are just really hard to get rid of (*thinks of giarda nightmare)

Hugs!
Lenkolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Google and ask your vet about using Diatomacious Earth to help control parasites. I'm definitely going to ask my vet about it when I pick up kitty in 2 weeks

Diatomaceous Earth - Nature's Parasite Control? | Know Better Pet Food
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Oh my goodness! I hope Waffles feels better very soon!
alohomora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

My cat Moxie was a stray living in our backyard for about a year. I eventually catnapped her to give her a warmer, safer life. The first night we brought her inside she threw up five or six worms that looked exactly like the one Waffles did I didn't rinse them off or anything but I did make sure to get a good look at them for the vet. And yeah, they were... definitely still alive. I think I read at the time that cats will throw up worms when they have a rather large infestation of them. Moxie was de-wormed at the vet the following day, but she also needed a follow up de-wormer a month later - when she was spayed her blood tests showed signs of her still having worms. She's on Revolution monthly now for fleas, but it's supposed to treat roundworms as well - I don't know if that would be an option for Waffles, or if he just needs another course of the other de-wormer.

I don't really have much advice to add, just wanted to let you know Moxie is happy and healthy and worm free now! I really hope the same can be said for Waffles, and soon. Feel better Waffles
catinthemirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement