Cremation Costs...What a Rackett! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Cremation Costs...What a Rackett!

The experience with Mikey's passing has taught me a lot. One of the things that we as pet owner's never like to think about is what will happen when our beloved pet(s) pass away. I know I was certainly guilty of this. So recently, I had Mikey cremated and his ashes put in a tacky green, cheap looking tall square metal tin very similar to one of those gift ones you get for the Holidays with hard candy in it, very similar to this:

The real kicker is that the ugly tin alone cost $70, and the exclusive cremation of your pet plus shipping added up to $341 total. If I had opted for the upgrade, a wooden box with a slot in front to place a picture, the box would've cost $249, so I would've paid $520 in total. I wasn't prepared to pay that much at the time.

When I went to pick up his ashes, they were very tactful and very sympathetic, but once I got a look at that tin, it really bothered me. It wasn't something I wanted to display in my living room. I ended up putting it inside a cupboard I have with a glass window to protect it from one of the cats accidentally knocking it about, and secretly to hide it from plain view.

So, I spent a few days researching online and found this urn to replace the annoying tin, which I really like, and costs $40 + $16 for shipping and taxes:

It's actually not an urn at all; it's a canopic jar, but I fell in love with it. I also wanted something with an inscription on it, so I opted for an engraved plaque with a chain in the same finish:

The cost of the engraved chain + a small burgundy velvet pouch for the ashes, which came with a funnel in case you want to share the ashes was $35 + free shipping. These last 2 items I got from one of the more popular urn retailers.

To sum up, I spent an extra $91 total to get something online I was happy with. I feel this is something I will definitely display in my living room. Had I known earlier, I would've opted for the ashes to be put into a plastic bag, saving myself $70 off the top, and for me to get my own urn online afterwards.

All I am saying is that when the time comes to even make these types of decisions, we need to be aware so we don't get ripped off. The pet cremation and memorial business takes advantage of your highly susceptible emotional state and your guilt. They mark up their products astronomically. Don't let this happen to you. Wait it out, and make an educated purchase at a later time when you can think more clearly...trust me!

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When Samantha died I was originally going to bury her but I couldn't bear to put her cold earth, also I'm probably going to be moving soon.
So I Google Pet cremations in my area and got a site and e-mailed them, he quoted me $140, I called the Vet and they quoted me $180.
The local place also had a nice urn for $40 but she wouldn't fit so they gave me the ashes in a sealed bag in a small wooden box with a sliding lid for free, I Googled Pet Urns and got a urn online of $50 and had got an engraved medallion very similar to your made up at a local trophy shop for $35, I printed up my favorite picture of Samantha when to Michael Arts and Crafts and got a frame and set up my little shrine for my little buddy.
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It's just lovely Cooncatbob!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I saw this after I lost Cinderella, wish I had seen it earlier.

Precious Kitty Cat - Bronze - Metal Pet Cremation Urn

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I decided a long time ago to cremate my pets from now on. I used to bury them...dogs and cats under the apple tree, little critters (hamsters, guinea pigs, duck and chicken) under the willow tree.
Once I was looking at urns, just to see what they were like, and saw a really nice blue paisley one...but didn't have the money for it.

I need to start looking seriously again, since I'm not sure Paizly will last much more than a year, even with her medicine now.
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I told my sister if I go before her to cremate me and mix my ashes with Samantha's,
might sound weird but she was a truer friend and companion then any of the women in my life.
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncatbob View Post
I told my sister if I go before her to cremate me and mix my ashes with Samantha's...
They have some lovely companion urns. I think it's a wonderful way to pay tribute to both of you since you meant so much to each other.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Marie,

I was thinking about that same one for Mikey, but given the way he passed and his short life, it would've made me sadder to look at it than anything else. It's such a sweet keepsake though.

Vivid Dawn,

It's a sad thing to think about, but ending up with something you are happy with, and feeling that it does justice to your beloved pet, as well as knowing they are close by and you can take them with you at any time, helps in the healing process.

Last edited by dweamgoil; 10-10-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm all for cremating my heart pets but I prefer to spread their ashes somewhere meaningful rather than keeping them for myself. I've always kind of felt that I'd never keep them in a cage when they were alive, I don't want to keep them what's left of them in a tin or a jar. They finally get to be free

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I'm all for cremating my heart pets but I prefer to spread their ashes somewhere meaningful rather than keeping them for myself. I've always kind of felt that I'd never keep them in a cage when they were alive, I don't want to keep them what's left of them in a tin or a jar. They finally get to be free
That is a beautiful sentiment

Sponsored Links
Advertisement