UTI won't go away - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default UTI won't go away

I have a male cat that is 1 1/2 years old, and nine pounds. I have taken Apollo into the Vet 3 times now with UTI. Luckily there are no crystals in pee just some blood, and PH is a 7 every time. He goes to pee every 5 minutes or so and will either pee a good bit or just little spots. I have taken him in and they usually give him a inflammatory shot and some antibiotics. He is fine for the first week and then he goes back to how he was. We have done the two week shot, orbax and clavamox. I also bought him cosequin, Ive given him Apple Cider vinegar, to help also. I am getting so frustrated with all this, and it kills me to see my baby in any kind of pain. Is there something I can do that might make this go away?

I have him on the Wellness complete and also have a running fountain. I am glad though he isn't peeing outside of the box!

Please help me!
Tifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Are you feeding him just dry food? I would suggest switching off of wellness, a lot of cats and dogs get urinary problems from their diets. My cats have ongoing urinary tract issues aswell, so I contacted companies to find which foods would be right for them. Ingredients and pH are the most important. You want to look for a food with a pH between 6-6.5. Natural Balance, Holistic Select, and Nature's Variety all meet that criteria. Also, it is best to look for foods with no fish if your cat is experiencing urinary issues. If you dont feed canned, I would strongly suggest to do so. My cats go crazy for Nature's Variety, they prefer that one the best. Good luck!

Also, if I were you, I would use cranberry pills instead of apple cider vinegar. I use Organika cranberry capsules. I prefer capsules because you can open them and sprinkle 1/3 of a capsule over the food, and then close it again to use for later. And its just pure cranberry powder in the capsule. If you get a pill you have all those other ingredients to bind the pill together.
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Agreed, if you are feeding dry you should switch to wet since there are ongoing issues.

With wet you can also add some hot water to the canned food to make it the consistency of a thick pancake batter. That will help pump more water into kitty.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I feed my cats 3 times a day. Hard food in morning and afternoon and wet food at night. The only issue I have about feeding them wet all the time, is their dental. I have heard that feeding wet food is the best though. Out of the three brands of food you mentioned, which one is the top of the line? I want to get them the best possible!

You know now that I think of it, they were on blue and I switched them over to wellness, and that's when the problems started!

Also He is suppose to stay on orbax for ten days. You think it would hurt him, if I kept him on it for a few more days?

Seriously, thanks for all the help!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

What I did.... I went to petfooddirect.com and in the search typed in 'Grain free' Then chose the options cat food and canned.

I sorted it by price and weeded out anything with meals, by products, any kind of fish (my cat has a history of crystals so no fish for him), excessive preservatives and any other junk I didn't want.

I pick about 4 different brands/flavors and buy a case of each(that lasts me a little over a month between the two). That way I can rotate food every meal. I've learned what brands they dont like so I can avoid those. I try to get different ones every month so they aren't eating the same things over and over.

This month on my shelf I have By Nature Beef and beef liver, Natural Balance Duck and green pea, Merrick's Cowboy cookout and Merricks BG Beef.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Has your vet run a culture on your cat's urine? A culture is different than a urinalysis. and it's very important to perform one in order to find out exactly which bacteria is present in the urine. Without a culture, your vet is just shooting in the dark, hoping that one of the antibiotics he prescribes will be effective against whatever bacteria may be present. A culture, on the other hand, will specifically identify the bacteria so that a targeted antibiotic can be chosen to kill it.

It's also very important that the urine used for a culture be collected using sterile, cystocentesis (a needle inserted directly into the bladder), because urine that is passed naturally through the urethra can pick up bacteria as soon as it leaves the body, resulting in a potentially inaccurate culture result.

In short, unless both a cystocentesis and a culture were performed, your vet doesn't have the information necessary to accurately treat your cat.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I would stick more towards Natural Balance, and my number one choice is Nature's Variety. Kibble does nothing for the teeth, the cat only crunches down on it quickly then swallows it, does nothing for the teeth.

Also, one meal of canned food is not really enough. Since you only feed dry in the morning and afternoon, the cats body has to use its own water reserve to digest the kibble, making them more dehydrated. What I do is feed a small handful of kibble in the morning, and then feed canned food throughout the day. My cats are annoying that if I only feed two or three full meals a day, they wont eat them, they eat smaller amounts throughout the day. I tried going kibble free for a month and a half, and my older female got stressed out and started pulling the hair off her stomach. (she is 7 and was not used to being without any kibble). But they have always gotten more canned than kibble.

And I agree, get your vet to run a culture, so your vet doesnt keep giving antibiotics for things that the infection isnt. I made that mistake, did a month of clavamox only to discover from a culture that my cat had a different infection and had to be treated with baytril.

Blue Buffalo has also been known to cause urinary issues. I used to work at a pet store a few years back and I knew of 3 people whos dogs got urinary crystals from blue buffalo.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Last time I toke him in they told me that they were going to do a Culture. But they couldn't get any pee out of him. So they just stuck me with some antibiotics. I am going to take him in AGAIN, and make sure they give me a Culture.

I went out and bought some Natural Balance canned and dry food. My cats love both the dry and wet. You think it would be alright to mix the dry and wet food together?

I thought wellness was a pretty good food!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

:sigh: another question...... Is it alright to mix different brands of food together?? Because I did get natural Balance and wanted to maybe get some Natures Variety.
Between natures Variety and Natural Balance, why do you rate it better? I want to make sure I am getting the best food for them.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I prefer Nature's Variety because I like the ingredients, and they have a lot of flavors. You can go on their website and get a coupon too

I wouldnt mix the wet with the dry together in one dish, if thats what you mean.

And yes, it is fine to mix different brands. Right now my cats are eating Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, and I still have some Royal Canin vet cans which I want to use before they expire. Their poops are fine, no issues with mixing.

And yeah, what I do when I have to take my cats to the vet for a urinalysis, is I wake up early (for me that would be 6am) and feed them as much canned food as they will eat. And then I lock them in my small washroom, and usually I get into the vet for 9am or 10am so they have enough urine in their bladders.

When they havent had any, I just bring them home. Some vets give the option of leaving the cat for a few hours and try again, but I personally dont feel comfortable doing that because it puts unneccesary stress on my cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement