encouraging elderly cat to eat - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My vet recently reminded me most cats do not chew dry food anyway, so the fact that my kitty has had so many teeth removed (most of her molars and almost all of the front tiny teeth) doesn't matter much in terms of my food choices for her, though she gets the majority of her nutrition from a 5.5 oz can of wet food each day and dry to nibble on when she pleases. I'd follow what your vet recommends, but question the need for dry food really.

I hope your kitty feels better and finds her appetite soon. Have you tried baby food? When my cat was really sick with a virus this summer and at her very worst, my vet said give her whatever she will eat. What was finally successful was Beech Nut chicken baby food (just chicken, chicken broth and water in the ingredients). There were a few days that she only ate baby food, then I added the baby food to her wet food (Weruva canned chicken) until eventually I was only giving her the canned food and she had regained her health.

I hope it never gets to this point, but if your vet recommends medication to stimulate appetite - tread very carefully. My cat was prescribed Mirtazapine and did not tolerate it well at all. The prescribing vet as well as a second I took her to really seemed quite clueless about the side effects.
ThatCatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah, the vet said there were appetite medicines available but she wasn't inclined to use them. We haven't got as bad as baby food yet but it could be a final resort, although to be honest if he gets to the point where we have to be more forceful with his food then it is probably time to ask ethical questions.

Thanks
Pandoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoren View Post
... We haven't got as bad as baby food yet but it could be a final resort, although to be honest if he gets to the point where we have to be more forceful with his food then it is probably time to ask ethical questions.

Thanks
I hope that time is very, very far off.

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks Although he has a lot of complaints, they all seem to be stable at present (although my understanding of kidney disease is that it is stable until it suddenly isn't) so provided we can sort his eating on a long-term basis, she said he could have a few years left in him. I admit my main health concern is actually his arthritis. I'm still smarting over the loss of my elderly rabbit who had spondylosis and I'm aware that it could come to judging the cat's quality of life, but thankfully he is still able to jump and run even though he shuffles and seeks company a lot more than he used to. I'm finding it harder reading his thoughts than I did with the rabbits so I can't really tell so much how bad he is feeling (except when he really glowers at you). I guess it is a matter of keeping going and playing it by ear
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

As has been mentioned, forget the dry food.

Feed small canned portions, warmed up. Cats with poor appetie just seem to be overwhelmed with large portions.

So, offer no more than a tablespoon of canned food at a time. Warm it slightly by either adding a little warm water to it (good for the kidneys!) or sitting the dish in another dish of hot water, to wamr the food gently.

Warming the food makes it smellier, and that's what cats go by, smell.

Offer the small portion. If he eats it, but leaves some, pick it up, stir it around and bring it to whereever he has moved to, and offer it again.

Do this every few hours throughout the day. Cats of his age and health can feel even sicker if they go too long with out food, making them even more reluctant to eat.

I am deeply concerned that your vet has prescribed metacam for a cat with kidney failure. Metacam is not safe for cats anyway, it is known to cause acute kidney failure in cats. I advise you to research this, and to question your vet closely, and ask for something else, if your cat needs pain medication.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks. I did warm the food up a few times but didn't seem to make any considerable difference. It did bemuse him though, it was funny to see him stalking his bowl and then batting at the food in it.

Yes, the vet and I discussed the use of metacam with his kidney issues. He was obviously in some considerable discomfort and we decided on quality over quantity and chose to treat him and take the consequences when they come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement