encouraging elderly cat to eat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default encouraging elderly cat to eat

My Blitz (aka "Doo Doo") is over 17 years old now. He had most of his teeth removed due to Feline Odontoclastic Reabsorbtive Lesions (ok, I think that's what FORLs stands for, if I'm right, consider it showing off), hyperthyroidism, arthritis/spondylosis and early onset kidney failure, which is very early on and stable.

So... he's got to have dry food for his remaining teeth, wet food for his medicine, both of which have to be specially formulated kidney food, a pill for his thyroid, metacam and arthri-aid for the arthritis. Thing is, he hates the kidney food. He has lost 30g in the last month because of his refusal to eat much of it at a time (he actually licks the medicine off, so it's not that...).

The vets say it is more important that he eats than for him to eat the kidney food at this time. She did say that if he doesn't eat properly, he has 3-6 months left.

So we've been mixing other meats in with his food and thus far (since I joined this site) he's been doing well. She's advised boiling chicken and fish for him too.

When I originally joined, I'd just got the news and was hoping for advice. Since we are doing well, I'm hoping for advice as a Plan B in case he gives up again.

Thanks
Pandoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoren View Post
So... he's got to have dry food for his remaining teeth,
Why?

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I think the idea is that the dry food helps prevent the build up of plaque and stuff. That was the impression I got from the vets. Anyway, he doesn't eat it much, he far prefers the wet food. It's there if he wants it.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

At the age of 17 I would let him eat what he wants. If he likes canned, so be it. The important thing is that he eats to keep his weight and strength up.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny135 View Post
At the age of 17 I would let him eat what he wants. If he likes canned, so be it. The important thing is that he eats to keep his weight and strength up.
This.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

The first time we tried moving away from the kidney food, he was interested for a while and then gave up even on the fishy food we were offering him. He's ok at the moment but I'm a little concerned that he might see this new food as a novelty and when it wears off, he'll lose interest again. I guess I'm just wondering what people might recommend as a next tactic.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When I switched Chiquita over to better wet food, I bought a variety and made notes on which ones she really likes.
Now I have a 1/ dozen that she really like to rotate so she doesn't get jaded on any one flavor.
She really likes Merricks, Grammy Pot Pie, Turducken and Thanksgiving Dinner.
I agree feed him what he'll eat that the important thing to keep his weight up.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoren View Post
The first time we tried moving away from the kidney food, he was interested for a while and then gave up even on the fishy food we were offering him. He's ok at the moment but I'm a little concerned that he might see this new food as a novelty and when it wears off, he'll lose interest again. I guess I'm just wondering what people might recommend as a next tactic.
Offer him a rotation of low-carb (no or low grains, fruits and veggies) canned foods. This will keep him from becoming fixated on any one product (a problem if they change or stop producing it) and protect him from potential quality control issues by diluting their impact. Since cats can develop hypersensitivity when continually exposed to the same proteins or ingredients for extended periods, it will also help prevent food intolerance issues (and the associated diarrhea and vomiting).
Dr. Hofve has a great article with even more reasons for rotating foods: Switching Foods.

Good luck!

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Hi. My 16 year old cat also has hyperthyroidism and is on the meds for it; I use
the gel transdermal pen to apply the medicine directly to his ear flap. He has
been on it for several years now and there seems to much less nausea with the
gel pen form than with oral meds.....SweetPea doesn't have as
much nausea with this form of his meds and has a better appetite.

You might try adding a little grated Parmesan cheese to his food to try and tempt
him to eat more. I've also found that adding a little warm water to the canned food
helps, as well as crushing some dried bonita flakes and sprinkling them over the
wet food.

Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your Blitz.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Thankee muchly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement