cat v. kitten food for 8 month old? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default cat v. kitten food for 8 month old?

Is there a real difference between cat food and kitten food?

We just adopted an 8 month old cat and I was wondering if I should get her kitten food, or if I can feed her from my collection of EVO 95% cans.

Any tips for how much food is appropriate for an 8 month old, 7.6 lb, cat?

The ASPCA had been feeding her a combination of wet (Triumph) and dry, even though they recommend wet food. I suppose I should slowly move her off dry.

She's in confinement at the moment, until she acclimates to her new home
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

EVO is an all-stages food, so it's appropriate to feed to your 8 mo. old. I recommend feeding her as much as she wants to eat three times a day for at least another month, then reducing her to two, all-she-wants meals/day until she's a year old. At that point, you can adjust food portions (continuing to feed two meals/day) to maintain optimal weight.

Since her digestive system is already adjusted to eating canned food, you can probably go ahead and remove the kibble from her diet ... unless the shelter was only feeding a tiny amount of canned a day.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

They were feeding her 3 tbsp wet, 1/4 cup dry, 3x/day. So far she ate some dry, but no wet.

She just came out of her confinement room, as we had left the door open a crack. She explored with more confidence than I expected - walking normally, rather than slinking along wall, but is still a bit jumpy. She even scratched a catnip scratching post. She also played the piano a bit, but that scared her. Still, that seems good for only 4 hours after arrival.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion View Post
They were feeding her 3 tbsp wet, 1/4 cup dry, 3x/day. So far she ate some dry, but no wet.
If the canned food they were feeding at the shelter was full of flavorizers (as many inexpensive brands are), she may not find the EVO appealing. Buy some cans of the brand the shelter was feeding, and mix a little EVO into it, increasing the proportion of EVO gradually as she becomes accustomed to its taste.

If she still won't eat canned for you, then of course you must continue to feed kibble during this transitional period. You can continue to try to get her eating canned again while she's adjusting to her new home.

Laurie
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

It's the canned she was eating at the shelter that she's ignored so far. We haven't tried EVO yet.

I'll see what she eats tonight.

BTW, would it be a good idea to hold off on clipping her claws until she's a bit more settled in? Or am I just being too cautious?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
I recommend feeding her as much as she wants to eat three times a day for at least another month, then reducing her to two, all-she-wants meals/day until she's a year old.
I also feed EVO, but have a question on the "all he can eat"... I haven't tested it, but I'm sure my 6 mo, 7 lb kitten would eat more than a 13 oz per day can if I let him (and it would show).

I know everyone says "all he will eat", but should I really be doing this if he'll eat as much as I mentioned?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No, if the kitten is really a glutton and will eat to obesity, then you should ration meals within reason. Kittens do need to eat a LOT more than adult cats to accommodate their rapid growth and development, but you don't want them getting obese. A little common sense goes a long way in such matters.

Clipping claws can be done at any time, but the sooner you get your kitten used to it, the better.

Laurie
Old 12-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
No, if the kitten is really a glutton and will eat to obesity, then you should ration meals within reason. Kittens do need to eat a LOT more than adult cats to accommodate their rapid growth and development, but you don't want them getting obese. A little common sense goes a long way in such matters.

Clipping claws can be done at any time, but the sooner you get your kitten used to it, the better.

Laurie
Yeah, he's getting a little over 1/2 a 13 oz can per day. Per directions (guidelines) an adult cat 6-8 lb should get around 6oz per day, so as a 7 lb kitten I'm giving him a little more than that.

He's pretty good with the nails, I just keep clippers in my comfy chair, and when he comes to relax/doze I can usually get 1 or 2 paws before he fusses
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
Yeah, he's getting a little over 1/2 a 13 oz can per day. Per directions (guidelines) an adult cat 6-8 lb should get around 6oz per day, so as a 7 lb kitten I'm giving him a little more than that.
My GoBoys ate 3-4 times as much as my adult cats until they were nine months old, when their weights and appetites finally started to level off. If you're only feeding your kitten slightly more than an adult portion, my guess is that you're underfeeding him. Don't feed by the numbers or by the guidelines on the food packaging. Feed according to your own kitten's body type and condition.

Laurie
Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I don't mind feeding more (and he'll be happy too ), I just want to make sure if he starts getting too pudgy that we'll be able to take it off later.