Cat Peeing on Bath Mat (Advice?) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat Peeing on Bath Mat (Advice?)

My 3 year old cat has started peeing on our bath mat. His litter box is literally about 1.5 feet away because we keep it in the bathroom. I don't understand why in the last month or so the cat has decided to pee on the bath mat. I've washed it in the washing machine and washed the floor and he's still doing it. My husband and I thought maybe he felt his litter box wasn't being cleaned enough so we started scooping and cleaning it daily and he still peed on the mat last night. Is the washing machine enough to get the smell out of the mat or should I buy a new mat and get an enzyme cleaner for the floor? I don't understand why he would suddenly do this since nothing has changed. Same litter box, same litter, he doesn't appear sick or stressed, our schedules are the same. Any advice? If he had an infection or crystals, wouldn't he pee everywhere, not just the bath mat?
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Vinegar water works wonders. Try using that.
Beth_Laubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No necessarily. It may hurt when he urinates so he's looking for a 'soft' place.

I would absolutely start at the vet and have him checked. If that's what it is, he's in pain and it's not fair to make him suffer.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks, I have an appointment for this afternoon. I'm going to buy a new mat and use the vinegar and water to wash the floor since the pee has seeped through the mat. Hopefully we can get it all sorted out.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If health issues are ruled out then time to think about behavioural issues. Any sudden changes in the house that could cause him stress?

I say get an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the scent thoroughly. Even if you can't smell it, the cat can still smell it. If you want you can also invest in a blacklight that can detect urine not visible to the naked eye.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Cats can also pee on things to spite their owners. Or for territorial reasons if not fixed. Your cat is protesting something if the problem isn't medical.

Hope everything works itself out soon
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sammy will pee on the bathmat if we leave it on the floor. We avoid it happening by hanging it over the edge of the bath while we're not in the shower/using the mat. I hope everything goes well at the vet.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

So I took Gandalf to the vet and they did an urine analysis and he does have an infection. I opted for the injection of antibiotics over giving him a pill twice a day figuring it would be easier for both of us.

I also got a new bath mat and washed the whole floor with soap and water then sprayed it with an enzyme cleaner and wiped again. It's the cleanest I've ever seen that floor, lol. Were lifting the new bath mat up as well when not in use for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice and telling me to take him in. Hopefully he feels better soon.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Glad you got the injections! My cat had a UTI last month, and I did the pills for about one week! What a nightmare! When I called the vet to see what I should do, they said "OH, you can get an injection for her!" Didn't know I had that option.

On peeing on the bathmat - I wish I knew why! My cat will pee on my dog's blanket if I leave on the floor, so I have to pick it up every day!! And she is spayed and all clear now with UTI and I clean her box at least once a day.

Who knows why they do what they do! They're cats! They don't need a reason! lol.
CindyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We hired a pretty well known cat behaviorist to deal with some peeing issues and she said peeing on bath mats is the only behavior she has not been able to modify in her cats. The smell and texture is just too nice for them. She recommended hanging it up.
Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement