Slippery elm bark to treat CRF? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Slippery elm bark to treat CRF?

Has anyone else heard of this or tried it? I read this article last week: Prevent or reverse kidney disease and renal failure in cats with Slippery Elm Bark

Before I talk to my vet I'd like to get some opinions on it. Church is currently on Fortekor (2.5mg daily), but I'm not 100% comfortable with giving it to him (I'm not 100% comfortable with giving any kind of medication to him). I just don't know what the alternatives might be.

~Veterinary Hospital/Office Assistant
Church's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church's Mum View Post
Has anyone else heard of this or tried it? I read this article last week: Prevent or reverse kidney disease and renal failure in cats with Slippery Elm Bark

Before I talk to my vet I'd like to get some opinions on it. Church is currently on Fortekor (2.5mg daily), but I'm not 100% comfortable with giving it to him (I'm not 100% comfortable with giving any kind of medication to him). I just don't know what the alternatives might be.
Never heard of it used for CRF, but for many other conditions as a supplement, yes.

Ipakitine is a great little product you an add to food to help CRF cats - have lots of clients who have seen a massive improvement since starting to add it.
http://www.ipakitine.com/en/public/manage-whith-ipakitine/action-of-ipakitine.html

Why are you not comfortable with medicating your cat for his disease?
Korat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
From the first paragraph of that article:
Quote:
Slippery elm bark is known for preventing or reversing damage to a cat's kidneys.
That has to be the Number One on the 'top ten' list of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
Quote:
Never heard of it used for CRF...
Well, here's the 'real goods' on Slippery Elm Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Holistic Treatments

Quote:
Ipakitine is a great little product you an add to food to help CRF cats - have lots of clients who have seen a massive improvement since starting to add it.
From the Chronic Kidney Disease Oracle Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment of Waste Product Regulation Problems Make sure you read the "Cautions" section.
Quote:
I just don't know what the alternatives might be.
Those alternatives are the subject of a 24/7/365 discussion going on among current and former expert CKD caregivers right here Tanya's Feline CRF Support Group
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Great, thank you.

It's not that I'm not comfortable medicating him. I'm not comfortable using western medications on him. Drug companies in North America are NOTORIOUS for pushing out new drugs before they've been fully tested, and they end up involved in class action lawsuits. That's what I'm not comfortable with.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I've been using slippery elm bark on my 18 year old crf girl and her creatinine and BUN levels have stayed stable for 2 years (BUN is at 33 and creatinine is at 2.5.

Her phosphorus is 4.5 so ipakitine wouldn't be indicated for her I assume?

"A nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the manner in which its animals are treated." Gandhi
Waterfaller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

According to the article on Tanya's site, it looks like SEB will help control the symptoms of CRF...the nausea and/or vomiting. But it doesn't seem like it does anything to control the progression of the disease (which I wouldn't have expected it to).

I used SEB with Callie, my IBD kitty. She was taking a $25/pill anti-emetic that is used for human chemo patients and it wasn't doing the job. I started using the SEB syrup and it made a huge difference in the amount of vomiting.

SEB also has a fairly hefty fiber content, so I could see it helping with the constipation that CRF kitties experience.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Church doesn't have any trouble with constipation - I give them canned pumpkin mixed in their food - and he rarely vomits. He dry heaves occasionally, but that's pretty rare, too. The last time his blood work was checked his BUN/urea level was a bit high, but his creatinine was good. I think I'll give this a go if I can find it and see how he does with it - at the very least it sounds like it will help his coat quality (his belly is super soft and shiny, but his back is kind of dull and has dandruff). After seeing the cautions on Ipakitine, and I don't think I'd be willing to try that. I wouldn't want to risk high calcium levels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement