Greasy fur (w/pic) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question Greasy fur (w/pic)

My latest foster kitty is a beautiful, 1-year old semi long-haired cat who seems to have a problem with greasy fur. I am not sure how else to describe it, I have posted a picture below (click on it to see full pic) and as you can see it looks as if the fur is in wet clumps.

Brushing does not help. I gave him a bath when he arrived but that helped only for a couple of days. His diet the same as it is for my own cats and his health is ok according to the vet.

He has been with me for almost 3 months now and though there is slight improvement, I am trying to figure out a way to make him look nice & fluffy so that when I start looking for a home, his looks stand out from all the other kitties He is very friendly, but also very timid in the beginning so he could really use his looks to win over his future owner

Ideas or similar experiences?

Oriole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has he been to the vet and had a full blood work up...because that looks like the fur of a cat that's ill.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It looks to me like any or all of several things may be contributing to his coat quality. First, is he shedding his undercoat? Clumping of shedding hair can cause that appearance. Second, a lower quality diet can cause poor coat quality. Thirdly, dehydration can cause the coat to become greasy and clumpy. If you're feeding him kibble, I recommend you switch to exclusively canned food for him, and mix water into his canned food to make it a "soup" that he can lap up. That'll increase his hydration and should help with his coat.

If he were an older cat, I'd recommend having his thyroid tested, but it would be rare for such a young cat to have hyperthyroidism.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Could it maybe just be the length of the coat or that it's really silky or something? Some longer haired cats with particular coat types may end up looking a little odd.

Maybe some kind of gland problem? Is he grooming often?

What food are you feeding? A grain free wet food may make a difference. Maybe try a raw egg yolk once a week?

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Has he been to the vet and had a full blood work up...because that looks like the fur of a cat that's ill.

He has been to the vet but without the blood work. However, he has not been exhibiting any signs of illness in the 3 months he has been with me - he is a typical rambunctious adolescent kitty with no abnormal behaviors.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

I don't know if you have the original blue Dawn Dish soap out there? I would bathe him in that,let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse really really well. If that helps then maybe the coat was just really dirty from where ever he was before? If the coat goes back to greasy right away (like you said it did when you bathed the first time) then I would get bloodwork done to rule out anything! And I agree with getting him off dry food!!

Last edited by LeeLuMonster; 03-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
LeeLuMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Sorry, for some reason I did not see the other replies. As to food - he is eating canned wet food right now. Shedding - no, he is not shedding, in fact almost nothing at all (which makes me believe he might be younger than 1 year). No blue Dawn Dish soap, but I'm thinking that I might give him a bath in the regular kitty shampoo I use and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Maine Coons tend to have oily coats especially when they are young. We bathed Dixie, our 2 year old, several times for the first year we had her. Now her coat looks great without the baths. Wile E is another story but he is just 17 months old. His coat is still oily but we haven't bathed him in several months, waiting for warmer weather.

I'm not sure about other breeds but if your kitty is part MC, this may be normal.

Beautiful kitty BTW.
RascalDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Its been my limited experience, that cats with fur like that, indicate illness. Most of the time it has been kidney/liver issues when it feels greasy and separates like that. Do you know this kittys background? Where he was rescued from? Loosing weight fast or starving can affect their kidneys and liver. Blood work is in order for this handsome guy.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

If you have a dish soap that is a "grease fighting" dishsoap then it would work the same. You just need to dilute it with water scrub it in the coat, leave for a few mins, then rinse rinse rinse. My himmie can get pretty greasy and that has always worked. I also use a deep cleaning all natural shampoo and leave the shampoo on for at least 5 mins. Now that she gets bathed every 2-4weeks I don't have problems with the greasys, so I skip the dish soap step and just shampoo. good luck!