Questions about slippery elm bark for CRF - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Questions about slippery elm bark for CRF

I got Church some slippery elm bark, and I have a few questions before I start giving it to him. I know it's to be given separately from any meds he takes.

Can Edie have it, also? She's 8 and a half and doesn't have any health issues.

Also, I'm currently using canned pumpkin in their raw diet for fibre - one cube (approximately two teaspoons) per quarter pound of ground whole carcass patty. Can I continue using canned pumpkin if I'm also giving slippery elm bark? (And yes, I do know the cautions about feeding raw to a CRF cat. Trust me when I say it saved his life.)

And can the SEB interfere with any of the supplements I add to their food? I add salmon oil, taurine and this supplement powder from one of the raw diet companies in Canada: Earthorigins

~Veterinary Hospital/Office Assistant
Church's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's never a good idea to give a cat something she doesn't need, so don't give Edie SEB.

SEB provides fiber, along with its other properties, so I would reduce the amount of pumpkin you add to their raw mix. Too much fiber can cause as many problems as it solves.

Since SEB can interfere with the absorption of meds, it seems reasonable to assume that it can do the same to supplements. It's best to separate SEB by an hour or two before and after mealtimes.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Okay, so I guess it would be best to syringe feed it to him a couple of hours after he eats, then. And I'll make their pumpkin cubes half the size of what I'm currently making. I still have some already frozen, so I could just thaw them separately and mix half with each quarter pound of patty meat.

Thank you for your speedy response.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Okay, I just made the first batch of syrup. I hope my improvisations are okay: I only have an aluminum pot, so I put the mixture in one of their Corelle water bowls, put a small amount of water in the bottom of the pot and placed the bowl in it. I let the pot water boil about six minutes while stirring the mixture. The mixture itself didn't come to a boil (that I could tell), but I scalded the tip of my finger when I checked the temperature of it. Also, I only had a clear glass jar to store it in, so I wrapped the jar with foil to make it dark.

As soon as I can I'll see if I can find a small glass or non-aluminum pot and a dark glass jar.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Did the syrup thicken for you? If so, your cooking method probably was fine.

I've never stored mine in a dark container. I just cover it with saran wrap in a small, clear glass mixing bowl and refrigerate it. SEB syrup keeps just fine that way for up to a week.

I have also given SEB capsules whole. That's certainly easier, but the capsules I buy are quite large. I coat them with butter and give the cat a ml or two of water immediately before and after the capsule to make swallowing easier.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yes, it thickened. Church got his first dose of it a couple of hours after his last meal of the day last night. He did pretty well taking it in liquid form. I didn't even ask the clerk about capsules because they had the loose powder, but I might look into that next time. Mind you, this might be easier - he's getting pretty sick of having pills shoved down his throat.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I made SE syrup for Callie's IBD. One thing I noticed about storing it was that if it got shoved too far back in the fridge it formed ice crystals. Nothing else in my fridge did this, so I assume the SE lowers the freezing temp of water. So keep it near the front...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I made SE syrup for Callie's IBD. One thing I noticed about storing it was that if it got shoved too far back in the fridge it formed ice crystals. Nothing else in my fridge did this, so I assume the SE lowers the freezing temp of water. So keep it near the front...
Good to know, thank you. I automatically put it right at the bottom of the fridge, because the stuff on the top shelf has a tendency to freeze in ours. Oh, and I also labelled it - when I made it and when I should dispose of it if it doesn't all get used.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement