Teeth need to be pulled... What to expect? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Teeth need to be pulled... What to expect?

My 7yo cat Boo needs 3 teeth pulled and goes in on Wed. He already has lost 2 teeth from them falling out & has bad gingivitis. He never acts like his teeth hurt so I feel awful for how long he's been dealing with the pain! I didnt know until they told me today. He has just a bad set of chompers

We have to give an antibiotic for 3 days beforehand and 7 days after. They think it will cost $450.00 and said he can come home the same day. They said he should be back to normal right away.

For those that have had kitties get teeth pulled before, Is this true? Won't it hurt him to eat? What if something gets stuck in the hole where they pulled it? Should I give him cat milk formula until he's healed anyway? How long will it be until he is totally recovered?
Beyond Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That depends on which teeth need to be pulled, how firmly they are still attached, and whether or not infection is present. I've had teeth pulled on my cats that were already just about ready to fall out on their own that were no big deal, and I've had teeth pulled that were such difficult extractions that they caused intense pain for a few days following the extractions.

I would not expect a cat having multiple extractions to be normal immediately afterwards. I'd typically expect a couple of weeks for the cat's mouth to heal. In the meantime, I'd feed canned food soup (canned food mixed with warm water) that the cat could lap up easily. I've had cats refuse to eat kibble for as long as a couple of months following multiple tooth extractions.

Again depending on the condition of the tooth and underlying gum, the vet may suture the hole closed following an extraction. My cat, Noddy, however, just had a tooth extracted last Tuesday. The underlying gum was so badly infected and mangled that the vet couldn't place any sutures, so it's having to heal as an open hole.

Laurie
laurief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks Laurie! They look pretty bad and I imagine infected. The 3 teeth are his back ones. She said that they will take X-rays and clean them up to see if the 3 all need to be pulled. I think she said something like a chance of just grinding some down if the root looks ok and they get past the cavity. Not 100% sure if that's right cause my head was spinning from info but she def. mentioned something about a chance of just grinding some down.
Ok so, cat soup afterwards. He eats that already. I was worried it could get all up in the hole if it's not stitched up.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Kobi had 2 teeth pulled a couple months ago...they weren't bad and all he cared about was that he hadn't eaten in 18 hours. He inhaled the first meal (half of what he normally gets) and then bothered me non-stop till he got more about 90 minutes later. Vet said to feed him canned only for 2 weeks which wasn't a problem because he eats mostly canned anyway.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Murphy had 2 teeth pulled last year. I don't know if your situation would be the same, but when they say "pulled," it may not be as bad as it sounds because they don't necessarily take out the root with it. Somehow they separated and removed the tooth while leaving the root there, so it wasn't painful afterward at all. Actually, the worst of it is that he got diarrhea for 2 months afterwards because of the antibiotic they had him on. That finally ended, thank you very much.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Trouble View Post
For those that have had kitties get teeth pulled before, Is this true? Won't it hurt him to eat? What if something gets stuck in the hole where they pulled it? Should I give him cat milk formula until he's healed anyway? How long will it be until he is totally recovered?
You know, I never thought about the crypt of the tooth being an issue... Well, my Tutu had one of her upper canines pulled when we adopted her (they paid for it, also ~$400!!). I was never told to avoid feeding her at all. The gum area of the extracted tooth was not a gaping hole or anything.

I never had any complications, except now she is a snaggletooth! Her upper lip now tucks under the corresponding lower canine. She started to get really raw in the area, but I just put antibiotic ointment there (which the vet agreed was the only thing to do) and now she just has scar tissue there so her snaggletooth doesn't harm her anymore.

She came home from the surgery loopy and searching for something that wasn't there, but other than that and the snaggletooth, no complications at all.

On more thing, I couldn't get her to take the liquid meds in her mouth so I just squirted it on her soft food (which is what she should be eating after surgery, not kibble).
Tutubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
when they say "pulled," it may not be as bad as it sounds because they don't necessarily take out the root with it. Somehow they separated and removed the tooth while leaving the root there
Was that what the vet said? It doesn't sound biologically possible considering they are a solid mass, nor probable since an infection can spread easily from crown to root without being obvious.
Maybe in that case the crown was diseased and polished away with a drill while still leaving some crown covering the root? Because otherwise that leaves the nerve exposed and, well, that wouldn't be a happy cat.

I hope they didn't do that to my cat... they said the canine was diseased and already pushing itself out (which it was), so leaving the root there would be a disaster.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, they mentioned about in some cases not pulling the root and just grinding down the tooth if it was possible and wouldn't cause further issues. It confused me but I trust my vet. They saved my other cats life 2 1/2 months ago.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Ah ok, yeah, I knew they could grind down teeth (offered to do that to Tutu's lower canine to prevent it poking her lip, but that just means more anesthesia!)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

His explanation about leaving the root was that the root grows down and attaches itself to his jawbone, so if you removed to root you'd damage the jawbone. I was just happy to hear that it wasn't as big a job and that he wouldn't have as much pain.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement