teeth cleaning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default teeth cleaning

I used to be a regular on this forum. I just would like to know your opinions on getting your cats teeth cleaned. Mango is going in on Tuesday, he is 7 years old. How safe is it?
zippy96444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's quite safe as long as (1) you have bloodwork done beforehand to make sure the cat's liver and kidneys are functioning well and (2) your vet uses a modern inhalant anesthesia like isoflurane or sevoflurane.

Don't get it done unless it's necessary, of course, but it it IS necessary, it is far riskier NOT to do it than it is to do it. Plaque develops bacteria which breaks off and can get into the bloodsteam, causing all kinds of problems including heart disease. Not to mention rotting teeth, inability to eat, etc.

Feeding raw (esp. bone-in meat) goes a long way towards prolonging tooth health and life, but most cats will need to have their teeth cleaned at least occasionally as they age. Just take precautions.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thank you! He is getting blood work and I will see about the anethesia. I know he needs it done. Just been putting it off. He is more human than cat! LOL
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Artie, 8 yrs old, adopted 4 months ago---had his teeth cleaned, deep scaling and one tooth removal last month--and he has a benign heart murmur---he did absolutley great!!
no issues, no problems--just some soft food for a week cuz of the tooth....
From what I understand, cleaning is very important to keep a cat healthy and having a long, happy life....I still cannot brush Artie's teeth but he is doing great! It is a necessity now..good luck!
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm glad you posted this! I entered a contest for a free teeth cleaning at my vet's office. Only 11 people entered so I have a good chance of winning but I wasn't sure if I would go through with it.

What is a suggested toothpaste? I imagine a toothbrush for a baby would work but I wasn't sure about toothpaste.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I had my cat's teeth cleaned every 2-3 years up until she was 14 years old. At that point her bloodwork started showing signs of kidney issues and I didn't feel that the risk of anesthesia outweighed the consequence of increased decay.

Both of my kitties (just over a year old) are already showing signs of needing a cleaning. The boy will go first sometime this year. It'll take me a good year just to prepare my girl to go in the car. Oy. Another post for another time...

Saving lives, one foster kitty at a time since October 2011!
zubie75082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

After reading some material about teeth cleaning, I've decided against it. Anesthesia is just too risky for me.

I'm not willing to take the risk. Instead, I'll use a safe enzymic toothpaste made for cats with a finger brush.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

RE: toothpaste--they do have flavored ones for cats!
poultry, tuna--and a small toothbrush.
got a set from the Vet, but I have seen them at the pet stores and I think at the grocery store (pet section). I was told that to try putting your finger on the outside part of the mouth with some toothpaste! as long as you can get some of it in there, the paste will do it's job??? Then inside does not have to be brushed--shudder--just thinking about it makes me cringe......
good luck
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks for all of the replies! I know this is best for him. i will post and
let you know how he has done.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

In regards to teeth brushing...it will not undo what damage has already been done. It cannot remove tartar, only plaque. It cannot make gum disease stop, it cannot get rid of tooth infections. all it can do is prevent more tartar from building up. If your cats teeth are already bad enough to need a cleaning chances are it's too late for tooth brushing to do much good.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement