Heart murmur - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Heart murmur

Just took my cat to the vet for a health certificate (to fly home from Nevada) and the vet detected a slight heart murmur. She said it was a 2 out of a 2-6 scale.. But Minnie didn't have any heart murmur before we flew out to Nevada, on July 18th she saw my usual vet who said her heart sounded great. Should I be really worried?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Countrylady1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrylady1071 View Post
Just took my cat to the vet for a health certificate (to fly home from Nevada) and the vet detected a slight heart murmur. She said it was a 2 out of a 2-6 scale.. But Minnie didn't have any heart murmur before we flew out to Nevada, on July 18th she saw my usual vet who said her heart sounded great. Should I be really worried?

CountryLady,

I recently adopted my kitty (Felicity) and was told she may have a heart murmur, also consided a 2 out of 6. That was based in the shelter's vet. I was adviced to have my vet look for it..with the thought that the stress of the shelter and recent birth of her litter could have aggravated the condition. A week after bringing her home I brought her to my vet with the notes from the 1st exam. She listened for the murmur but didn't hear it. She confirmed the stress might have caused/ or aggravate it.

I will follow up with the shelter as they have offered another exam in a few weeks..

You mention traveling with Minne, could the stress of travel be at issue for your kitty?

I hope she does well.. my Felicity is adjusting to her forever home and shows no signs of illness.

Whiskers, Female, Born 7/7/11, DMH
and
Felicity, Female, Born 7/30/10, DSH

Sidestep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidestep99 View Post
CountryLady,

I recently adopted my kitty (Felicity) and was told she may have a heart murmur, also consided a 2 out of 6. That was based in the shelter's vet. I was adviced to have my vet look for it..with the thought that the stress of the shelter and recent birth of her litter could have aggravated the condition. A week after bringing her home I brought her to my vet with the notes from the 1st exam. She listened for the murmur but didn't hear it. She confirmed the stress might have caused/ or aggravate it.

I will follow up with the shelter as they have offered another exam in a few weeks..

You mention traveling with Minne, could the stress of travel be at issue for your kitty?

I hope she does well.. my Felicity is adjusting to her forever home and shows no signs of illness.
That's what I'm hoping, that it's just the stress of traveling/new place/long car ride/vet all combined that caused it.. I'll be home next week, and I was thinking I'd give her a month to settle in at home and readjust to her normal life, and then I'll take her to my usual vet and see if it's still there and if so, what he thinks I should do. I'm glad to hear that it CAN be stress that causes a mild murmur. Hopefully that's all it is! Thanks for your input. also glad to hear your kitty is doing well

Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Does anybody else has experience or thoughts?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Early stage murmurs can be tricky and many vets aren't all that experienced in detecting them. If you go to your regular vet and he says he doesn't hear it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means it's a 50/50 shot. If you're going to follow up, I would do so with a Veterinary Cardiologist who do this sort of thing every day and can give you a more definitive diagnosis.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My cat Loki had a mild heart murmur--it never caused him any problems at all and he died at 18+ from something entirely unrelated. I agree that a cardiologist referral is the way to go if you're at all concerned about it.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My vet detected a level 2 murmur in my kitten Bear, but he said it's a wait and see sort of thing at this point, as it could resolve on its own with time (an innocent murmur), or if it does not, the next step is to do an ultrasound of the heart.

"An innocent or physiologic heart murmur is a heart murmur that has no impact on the cat's health.

One type of innocent heart murmur is often found in young growing kittens, particularly kittens that are growing rapidly. The murmur may first appear at 6-8 weeks of age, and a kitten with an innocent heart murmur will usually outgrow it by about 4-5 months of age. This type of murmur is benign. Some normal adult cats may have an intermittent heart murmur that shows up when their heart rate is increased due to stress. This type of physiologic murmur disappears when the heart rate is normal, and has no impact on the cat's health.

In general, a physiologic or innocent heart murmur will have a low intensity (usually Grade I-II out of VI), and does not cause any symptoms or clinical signs."

Heart Murmurs in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement