Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums (
-   Health and Nutrition (
-   -   FVRCP - Kitten (

penny1956 09-05-2012 01:43 PM

FVRCP - Kitten
So, today, my 6 month old kittne got her Rabies and I was so happy that it was, what I thought, the last kitten vaccination.

Well, while I was waiting for them to give her the shot, the Tech told me she's due for ANOTHER FVRCP vaccine. She is a shelter kitty and they started with her first one at 4 weeks, she got her 2nd at 8 weeks and her 3rd (and I was under the impression - final) one at 12 weeks. Now they're telling me since it she was younger than 16 weeks, she needs ANOTHER (for a total of FOUR???)

I told them I would just wait until the one year booster. Now I'm home wondering if that was the right decision. She was separated from her mama at 4 weeks so wouldn't that mean her antibodies would have worn off by 12 weeks so the vaccine would have been effective? Any thoughts?

Wannabe Catlady 09-05-2012 02:27 PM

From my own research, it is best to do one at 4 weeks, and one last one past 16 weeks. So, I think you are stuck getting that last one, since 12 weeks may still be too young. Just make sure they are over 16 weeks, maybe even wait a few extra weeks to be sure. After that, there is no goo reason to be getting anymore.

Most of my info on vaccines I got was from, so I would recommend giving that site a read :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

penny1956 09-05-2012 06:42 PM

Thanks - just looked over the site and read that the 3rd FVRCP should have been given after 16 weeks of age. It also mentions that 4 FVRCP shots aren't good for the kidneys. Really disappointed as I really thought she was all done with these shots. **sigh**

As she just got her rabies, guess I'll take her next week for a 4th FVRCP - just hate to do that but sure don't want her to get panleukemia. :(

librarychick 09-05-2012 08:10 PM

If she's going to be indoor only then don't do the 4th, if she's indoor only (which I would recommend) then there's no reason for her to need FVRCP at all, IMO.

If you're planning on letting her outside you're stuck with giving her the 4th...but I'd wait longer. Ask if you can hold off the shot until she's 8 months old and tell them you're worried about her getting so many shots so close together. It's your right to ask questions and to stand up for your girl. I, personally, would wait a while longer.

Get her spayed, let her heal up from that (if she wasn't already spayed when you got her), and give it a few months before any more shots. JMO

scottd 09-05-2012 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I believe AVMA guidelines suggest a dose of FVRCP at 8 weeks and every 4 weeks up until 16 weeks. Followed by an additional dose at year and then every 3 years.

Personally, I would do FVRCP at 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 1 year, and every 3 years. However, I think stopping now and then doing another dose at 1 year would be fine.

As far as rabies is concerned, I would do one at 16 weeks and then every year after.

I would also insist on Merial PureVax.

Take this with a grain of salt though. I'm hardly an expert on feline immunology.

Penny135 09-05-2012 10:03 PM

Mia and Mac both had FVRCP at 7 weeks and 12 weeks. My vet and the rescue I went through for Mia both only do the 2. Mia had rabies at 16 weeks and Mac will have his next week, then no more vaccines until 1 year old.

penny1956 09-05-2012 10:10 PM

Yes - she's completely indoors and I called and spoke with my vet a couple hours ago. She told me that since she's indoors that stopping now would be fine until her 1 year booster. She said the important FVRCPs are the 8 and 12 week shots. I did get her rabies this morning (that's how I discovered she needed one more FVRCP) and it was the Purevax.

Thanks for so many replies as I certainly don't want to over-vaccinate but do want the peace of mind that she's protected.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.