FVRCP - Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
FVRCP - Kitten

So, today, my 6 month old kittne got her Rabies and I was so happy that it was, what I thought, the last kitten vaccination.

Well, while I was waiting for them to give her the shot, the Tech told me she's due for ANOTHER FVRCP vaccine. She is a shelter kitty and they started with her first one at 4 weeks, she got her 2nd at 8 weeks and her 3rd (and I was under the impression - final) one at 12 weeks. Now they're telling me since it she was younger than 16 weeks, she needs ANOTHER (for a total of FOUR???)

I told them I would just wait until the one year booster. Now I'm home wondering if that was the right decision. She was separated from her mama at 4 weeks so wouldn't that mean her antibodies would have worn off by 12 weeks so the vaccine would have been effective? Any thoughts?
penny1956 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Tom Cat
 
Wannabe Catlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 474
From my own research, it is best to do one at 4 weeks, and one last one past 16 weeks. So, I think you are stuck getting that last one, since 12 weeks may still be too young. Just make sure they are over 16 weeks, maybe even wait a few extra weeks to be sure. After that, there is no goo reason to be getting anymore.

Most of my info on vaccines I got was from catinfo.org, so I would recommend giving that site a read


Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Wannabe Catlady is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
Thanks - just looked over the site and read that the 3rd FVRCP should have been given after 16 weeks of age. It also mentions that 4 FVRCP shots aren't good for the kidneys. Really disappointed as I really thought she was all done with these shots. **sigh**

As she just got her rabies, guess I'll take her next week for a 4th FVRCP - just hate to do that but sure don't want her to get panleukemia.
penny1956 is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat
 
librarychick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Posts: 3,716
If she's going to be indoor only then don't do the 4th, if she's indoor only (which I would recommend) then there's no reason for her to need FVRCP at all, IMO.

If you're planning on letting her outside you're stuck with giving her the 4th...but I'd wait longer. Ask if you can hold off the shot until she's 8 months old and tell them you're worried about her getting so many shots so close together. It's your right to ask questions and to stand up for your girl. I, personally, would wait a while longer.

Get her spayed, let her heal up from that (if she wasn't already spayed when you got her), and give it a few months before any more shots. JMO


Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol
librarychick is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,062
I believe AVMA guidelines suggest a dose of FVRCP at 8 weeks and every 4 weeks up until 16 weeks. Followed by an additional dose at year and then every 3 years.

Personally, I would do FVRCP at 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 1 year, and every 3 years. However, I think stopping now and then doing another dose at 1 year would be fine.

As far as rabies is concerned, I would do one at 16 weeks and then every year after.

I would also insist on Merial PureVax.

Take this with a grain of salt though. I'm hardly an expert on feline immunology.

scottd is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Il
Posts: 676
Mia and Mac both had FVRCP at 7 weeks and 12 weeks. My vet and the rescue I went through for Mia both only do the 2. Mia had rabies at 16 weeks and Mac will have his next week, then no more vaccines until 1 year old.
Penny135 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
Yes - she's completely indoors and I called and spoke with my vet a couple hours ago. She told me that since she's indoors that stopping now would be fine until her 1 year booster. She said the important FVRCPs are the 8 and 12 week shots. I did get her rabies this morning (that's how I discovered she needed one more FVRCP) and it was the Purevax.

Thanks for so many replies as I certainly don't want to over-vaccinate but do want the peace of mind that she's protected.
penny1956 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome