Spay recovery time - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Question Spay recovery time

We got Joy spayed last friday and are wondering what the recovery time is for her. She thinks she is back to her old self and does not yet realized that her usual 3+ feet is a no go! We have been stopping her the best we can however we can't stay awake 24/7! I was lucky enough to catch her mid fall off the cat tree yesterday! Any ideas how long we will have to keep watching her like a hawk? We lowered the computer chairs, got box steps for her window sill cat beds but still she tries to jump her full distance....
also, her appetite is insatiable!!! She seens to be constantly hungry eating just about a full 3oz can of food yesterday! Is this nornal?
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Let her jump. My vet actually encouraged my cats to jump and run around after spay. He said this prevent internal organs to "stick together" after surgery, which my mom (a human doctor) agreed as this is also a common pratice for humans after surgery. Your cat will stop jumping if she feels painful. Also cat's skin are quite flexible, normal stretching won't tear the stitches. I don't remember if Joy is your only cat or you have others. If there are other cats in the house, you need to watch them and make sure they don't play violently (your other cat may tear up Joy's stitches), or the other cat may lick Joy's wound.

The key to recovery, according to my vet, is to keep the wound absolutely dry and as clean as possible. Your Joy should be fully recovered around day 10th. But my girls had their cone on until 14th day (which is too long according to many forum members ).
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Well, I've never heard a vet RECOMMEND climbing and jumping (and that "stick together" comment is just NUTS), but there is a limit to how much you can restrain a cat. I don't worry w/ neuters, but spays are kept crated (big dog crate w/ bed and litterbox) for 3 days. Then I just let them rip. Have never had a problem.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
Well, I've never heard a vet RECOMMEND climbing and jumping (and that "stick together" comment is just NUTS)
It's a pretty well-known phenomena:
Adhesion (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(whether movement helps minimize them, that I don't know, but adhesions are far from nuts)
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Well, I've never heard a vet RECOMMEND climbing and jumping (and that "stick together" comment is just NUTS),
It's not NUTS. There is a medical term for that, I just don't know what it's called in English.

Basically when you are done with a surgery (the one that you need to be cut open, not like on legs, head, etc.), when you are capable of walking, your doctor will encourage you to walk, not lie in bed all the time. For that exact reason.

My mom is a doctor. Although she is not a surgeon, she does know these kind of stuff better than most ppl.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Oops, Jacq you beat me

PS: Spays do NOT need to be crated for 3 days. Mine were running and jumping on the first night home. It's the first time I've ever heard about the "crated" theory.

Last edited by yingying; 09-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
yingying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

The point is that while careful, gentle movement is good (walking, etc.) clearly running and jumping are NOT recommended by MDs or DVMs. Hard to imagine a women doing either until a few months after an OVH--and a cat shouldn't either (although their recovery time is of course much faster).

Adhesions certainly happen, but they are not desired. They serve no useful purpose and can cause problems. What you want is for the incision to heal up--it is less likely to do that if it's being pulled and stretched all the time.

There is some debate, for this reason, about giving pain meds to dogs/cats in situations like this--if they feel TOO good they may over do it. I provide the pain meds during the time that the animal is crated or (in the case of dogs) being leash walked. Once they're out of my constant control, I drop the pain meds in the hope that a small amount of discomfort will inhibit the animal.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll_Joy View Post
also, her appetite is insatiable!!! She seens to be constantly hungry eating just about a full 3oz can of food yesterday! Is this nornal?
Yes, Gadget will eat about 6-8oz of wet food a day, and would probably eat more if I put it out for him.

I hear that Kittens could (or "should") eat up to twice (or possibly more) than adult cats. Other sources say that you should let them eat as much as they want 2-3 times a day.

So, in the end, I'd let her eat (within reason) until she stops growing.
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The point is that you shouldn't call something NUTS just because you haven't heard of it before.

Ragdoll_Joy, it appears that we have cats that are crated after spaying, and cats that play after spaying, and both turned out fine. Joy will be alright either way if you keep her from getting toooo crazy.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
There is some debate, for this reason, about giving pain meds to dogs/cats in situations like this--if they feel TOO good they may over do it. I provide the pain meds during the time that the animal is crated or (in the case of dogs) being leash walked. Once they're out of my constant control, I drop the pain meds in the hope that a small amount of discomfort will inhibit the animal.
She has not been on any pain meds since she got home from the vet. She also doesn't seem in any pain and is pretty well back to her old self other then for the lower jumping capabilities. She has also not done her usual "spaz cat" where she runs tearing through the house boucing off anything she can jump on or run around! If she gets like that there is no stoping her so I we would crate her in that case. But so far so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Yes, Gadget will eat about 6-8oz of wet food a day, and would probably eat more if I put it out for him.

I hear that Kittens could (or "should") eat up to twice (or possibly more) than adult cats. Other sources say that you should let them eat as much as they want 2-3 times a day.

So, in the end, I'd let her eat (within reason) until she stops growing.
So her apetite is normal then! That's great to hear...it is certainly alot more then it was before she went to the vet! Thanks!
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement