Meow Mix... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Meow Mix...

Does anyone feed their cat Meow Mix. I have been feeding Autumn Purina One since I adopted her but it is getting really expensive. I have been thinking of switching her to Meow Mix and would like your opinion if you're feeding this to your kitty.

Autumn does love her Purina One and if I did switch to another brand, I would do it slowly adding a little of the new into the old. Anyway any opinions or advice on Meow Mix would help, thanks.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

heston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by heston View Post
Does anyone feed their cat Meow Mix. I have been feeding Autumn Purina One since I adopted her but it is getting really expensive. I have been thinking of switching her to Meow Mix and would like your opinion if you're feeding this to your kitty.

Autumn does love her Purina One and if I did switch to another brand, I would do it slowly adding a little of the new into the old. Anyway any opinions or advice on Meow Mix would help, thanks.
bella likes the meow mix very well.and its good for her.try it out slowly i think she mite like it.bella doesnt like the smelly brand of cat food.meow mix is not strong smelling at all.
bellaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaboo View Post
bella likes the meow mix very well.and its good for her.try it out slowly i think she mite like it.bella doesnt like the smelly brand of cat food.meow mix is not strong smelling at all.
I should have mentioned I was talking about dry food. I used to feed Autumn Friskies canned but after years she just stopped eating it so for right now I am feeding only dry. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There's nothing about Meow Mix to recommend, it is unfortunately an extremely low quality kibble. However, if it's all you can swing finance-wise, it does keep your cat alive.

Is there any way you can manage to get the bags of Costco kibble or Chicken Soup for the Cat kibble? I don't know their price in comparison to Purnia per bag (they can come in very large bags, which will save you money if you buy in bulk) but they are leagues above anything by Purnia or Meow Mix and are better dry food at a lower cost.

I'd be concerned about trying Meow Mix as the cat may not want anything else after eating it. If one day you want to feed a better brand, you may be unable to. My mother has fed Meow Mix to her cat for 14 years, the problem is that she has tried over the years to switch to other better brands and the cat will not switch; we always ended up with bags of kibble from her. Basically, her cat was stuck on wanting the bottom of the barrel food. She then tried switching to some wet food instead and even then the cat was super picky about it, but after trying tons of brands and flavors she's managed to find a few Wellness brands that her cat will eat. My cat Blaze also ate Meow Mix fairly often (we just bought whatever was cheapest and that was usually it) although he wasn't as fussy in switching brands as my mother's cat. When we went to other brands he mostly would eat them though we could tell he really wanted Meow Mix more than some of them. Ultimately we were able to find a better kibble (Now) which he really loves.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

All that Carmel said.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, Meow Mix is just about the worse food you could possibly buy. First ingredient is corn, second is corn gluten meal, then lots of by-product meals (which can include all kinds of gross stuff like expired meat from grocery stores complete with plastic wrap and styrofoam). There is a little fish meal down around the 10th ingredient. (remember that ingredients are listed in order of weight...so the further down the list, the less there is.

And while they advertise that it's made in the USA, I would suspect that many of the ingredients come from China.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

After reading your comments, I will stay with Purina One. My vet recommended it to me and as I said before, Autumn just loves it. It's the only dry food I have given her since I adopted her. I certainly don't want to downgrade her food.

Thank you all for the advice

Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I used to feed Purina one years ago and never had a problem, but now I look for foods with no by products, at the very least. In that respect, I think Costco Kirkland cat food is better than Purina. I also have used 4 Health from Tractor Supply which is also very affordable. Big Lots has been carrying some Holistic cat food lately for cheap, but they vary in what they have so if you're not into rotating foods that might not work.
kty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Petsmart Authority Sensitive Solutions does not have any corn or by products and is cheap, I would stay away from the other types of Authority dry as they have corn as an ingredient. The Authority canned is a decent inexpensive food also.

Both the Petsmart brand and Costco brand are far superior in quality than Meow mix.
Pandoragem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I wouldn't feed Meow Mix or Purina One but if you must, I would pick PURINA ONE® BEYOND® White Meat Chicken & Whole Oat Meal Recipe. It seems to be the best of the Purina One brand.

I currently feed my kitty Petcurean Go! Fit + Free. My fiancé feeds Orijen Cat & Kitten. A couple other foods I would consider feeding would be Wellness CORE Original and EVO Turkey & Chicken Formula Dry Cat & Kitten Food. They're all great food by my standards. I would only feed a food that is free of grains, by-products, and unnamed "meat". I also only consider foods that are high protein/low carbohydrate. Wet food is better than dry but my cat won't eat wet so I just pick the best dry food available.

The good food may seem expensive but in the long run it's not. Tina eats about 1/2 cup a day. When I fed Purina Cat Chow (Indoor) (I want to smack myself after what I know now), she would eat probably 3 to 4 times that much per day. I spend less money on cat food and litter now than when I bought crap food and clay litter.

Last edited by scottd; 09-16-2012 at 01:24 AM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement