What is it with the pet food industry?? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
It's an ingredient used in non-toxic antifreeze. As far as I know, you couldn't really kill someone with it. It does, however, has a sweet flavour, so I guess it could be used to mask something else.

I know this because PG is one of two main ingredients used in electronic cigarettes (along with vegetable glycerin) - which I've become very familiar with in the last few weeks. Though inhaling it can cause headaches in some people with a specific sensitivity, the only real downside of it is that it dries you out. There were some tests on dogs and ingested PG causing kidney damage, but the dosages were through the roof. I can try to find that article if you're interested.

Would I feed exclusively a food that contained PG? Probably not. However, I personally haven't experienced any side effects (except being a bit thirsty, but that's worth it to be off smoking) and there isn't any science out there that I'm aware of that small doses could kill a cat.
Propylene glycol has been prohibited for use in food for cats because of a species-specific reaction in the body, as noted in the Code of Federal Regulations, title 21: Food and drugs, 582.1666-propylene glycol.

Cats have been known to be attracted to the sweet taste of propylene glycol.

I discovered it in a spray used to destroy incontinence odors. (My wife had problems in that regard.) I contacted the manufacturer, since the label reads "Non-toxic, non-allergenic, environmentally safe.” Unless you're a cat.

Haven't heard back yet.

Harv
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

It's not even just the cat food industry; it's the food industry in general! Here in Canada, food inspection practices have definitely seen better days. Its seems like every time you turn on the news, another food product is being recalled.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHimmydoll View Post
It's not even just the cat food industry; it's the food industry in general! Here in Canada, food inspection practices have definitely seen better days. Its seems like every time you turn on the news, another food product is being recalled.
exactly. you get salmonella from peter pan peanut butter, schwann's ice cream, e.coli from spinach and jalapeños, and then we start killing people with listeria on rocky ford cantaloupes.

i'll see if i can link to the westword article, it's not so much about contamination as it is the smell: there's a dog treat plant on 32nd and walnut, which used to be strictly an industrial area. however, they decided to get trendy and sell lofts down there and call it RiNo. well, the people who bought are highly disturbed by the smell of the dog treat plant, "over the past two weeks, the smell of a rotten grease trap filled with decomposing bodies has filled the air."

it's called kasel associates, but the neighbors call it the "pig ear factory" because it uses them in its treats. and the colorado department of agriculture found that some of their American Beef Bully Stick dog treats were salmonellaized. the treats had been sold under the boots & barkley label at target.

they use pork femur bones, cow hooves and beef trachea. mmmmm, yummy. i don't think they make cat food but i hope he gets fined again and again until he either goes out of business or cleans up the problem. i know that smell from purina factory (it's on i-70, so first you go by the coliseum and smell the stock yard, then purina, then keebler LOL)

RiNo neighbors are raising a stink about factory smells in their ’hood - Page 1 - News - Denver - Westword if you want to read the article about the bad-smellling factory. i read it and i know there's nothing bad in it but it's kind of long.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement