What is it with the pet food industry?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default What is it with the pet food industry??

Pet Treats Recalled After Colorado Finds Salmonella Contamination

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...od-kibble.html

The Growing Toxic Pet Food Crisis

Last edited by my5kitties; 09-22-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: copied same link twice: put in correct link
my5kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yup, all the work, and effort that goes into making food and treats for my kitties is so worth it!!
OwnedByACat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

There seem to be a lot of issues with baby formula too... so apparently it's bad to be a cat or a baby if you want to eat safely :-/
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I wonder what this Science Diet reformulation will bring...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ech. SO glad that I joined this forum, learned about Hill's and took my kitties off of it a couple of months ago!

Isn't propylene glycol one of the things that people use to poison others? I saw it in the ingredient list of something I looked at recently and nearly fell over. I wish I could remember what it was.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
I wonder what this Science Diet reformulation will bring...
I doubt it will be anything exciting. They say it will be more natural...but hey, arsenic is all natural too...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
Isn't propylene glycol one of the things that people use to poison others? I saw it in the ingredient list of something I looked at recently and nearly fell over. I wish I could remember what it was.
It's an ingredient used in non-toxic antifreeze. As far as I know, you couldn't really kill someone with it. It does, however, has a sweet flavour, so I guess it could be used to mask something else.

I know this because PG is one of two main ingredients used in electronic cigarettes (along with vegetable glycerin) - which I've become very familiar with in the last few weeks. Though inhaling it can cause headaches in some people with a specific sensitivity, the only real downside of it is that it dries you out. There were some tests on dogs and ingested PG causing kidney damage, but the dosages were through the roof. I can try to find that article if you're interested.

Would I feed exclusively a food that contained PG? Probably not. However, I personally haven't experienced any side effects (except being a bit thirsty, but that's worth it to be off smoking) and there isn't any science out there that I'm aware of that small doses could kill a cat.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I'm still ashamed of myself for feeding my cat and dog commercial pet foods in the past :{

I can try to comfort myself and say I didn't know any better at the time, and at least I always bought grain-free, but still!

I remember spending weeks researching ingredients like carrageenan and trying to decide/decipher if it was dangerous to my cat or not.

Reading about the Hill's reformulation makes me want to throttle someone. I can totally see why it makes perfect sense to the manufacturers to make "coated" pet kibble, but it enrages me that they don't give a rat's patootie about what it means to the PETS. If the kibble is coated in a polymer, HOW is the pet supposed to DIGEST the kibble?! Can dogs and cats somehow digest polyethylene now?

I am now terrified to give my cat ANY treat that isn't 100% normal ingredients - e.g., freeze-dried chicken. I used to give her senior vitamin supplements and a joint supplement, but now I'm leery.

I'll take all the "risks" of my cat's current raw diet over commercial pet food any day.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I've been feeding raw for a little over 8 months now and my cats are some of the happiest I've met. My male's urinary issues have stayed gone since moving him to raw and the only issue I have now is remembering to close the bedroom door at feeding time so he can't drag his food in there to eat! My female, upon coming home, was immediately transitioned to wet food, and was devouring raw a few days after that.

When I was feeding kibble, I was obsessed with finding the best I could within my price range, but even then, i wasn't too happy with what was available. My vet was trying to push science diet and I was having none of it!

I do tend to feed temptations treats but I've thought of nixing those as well in favor of small tidbits of cheese and cooked egg that get gobbled up in milliseconds...

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Everything everyone eats is dangerous... Cows eating corn? Really? Corn was useless 100 years ago now we shove it down everyones throats.. And can we can genectically modified organisms???? Jeez, we have a serious food crisis in the US
Technoterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement