Kitty Water Fountains - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Kitty Water Fountains

Ok so shopping around for a water fountain for my cats (someone recommended this to help them drink more). From what Ive seen there are 3 choices; plastic, ceramic, and stainless steel. I assume plastic is the worst because of bacteria? Kinda leaning towards ceramic at this point because (silly) it comes in black lol. Unless of course there is a real good reason why steel is better than ceramic? I wonder how easy they break with a 2 year old around?
Technoterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Make sure the ceramic is safe. I know there were some pet bowls that were made in China full of bad stuff.

I would go for stainless steel. A 2 year old can't break steel. It's also a lot easier to clean and you don't have to worry about bacteria.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

my cat's have had a plastic cat mate water fountain for 3 year's & I have just ordered the Pioneer raindrop stainless steel fountain to replace it.

the plastic one has been very good & reliable for the whole 3 year's but it has discolored slightly over time & has some surface scratches from cleaning etc. which I do worry about bacteria growing in as these are the most discolored part's of the fountain which I cannot get back to white anymore even with bleach.

I think stainless steel is probably the most hygienic option as Scott mentioned you can never be sure that ceramic does not have any contaminant's in it.

just hope my kitty's like their new fountain, I think I will keep the plastic one running with the new one to make sure my kitty's are drinking '-)

Victoriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The ceramic is pretty, but very breakable. One drop on the kitchen floor during a wash, and it's likely shattered. I have the Pioneer Big Max Stainless Steel. Love it. I didn't realize how huge it would be but since you have 5 kitties, it'll be good. It holds about 100 oz or so of water, and I have to refill using a 32 oz bottle about every 2 days or so for my two kitties. They love it! It is VERY easy to clean and assemble and is virtually silent as long as it has enough water in it. I clean mine on Saturdays or Sundays and the entire process takes about 10-15 minutes (dumping, cleaning, and refilling.) Filters are reasonable and can be found online for pretty cheap. Oh, and I would recommend shopping online for the fountain rather than going big box store. You'll save lots of money. So yeah... I totally recommend the Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel. I'd say the Raindrop one would be good too, you'd just have to refill more often. Hope this helps.

Last edited by BrnTabbyLvr; 09-24-2012 at 03:20 AM.
BrnTabbyLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I use one of these in my garage:

Glacier Point Perfect Pet Fountain™ - The Pet Fountain Solution by Sierra BioScience

And I use a stainless-steel one in the backyard.

:}
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have a Pioneer stainless steel fountain and am very happy with it. The pump is tiny but completely disassembles for cleaning.
Pandoragem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have been looking at the Drinkwell fountains on Amazon. I keep 2 large ceramic bowls of water out for the cats and change it at least once, usually twice a day but my concern is when we go away for a few days, even though I have someone to come and feed them and I ask them to change the water daily, I'm guessing that they probably just look to see if there is water and leave the same water. The fountains filter the water and keep it moving so it doesn't get stagnant. There are several different drinkwell models, some with larger reservoirs to hold more, which you might need for 4 cats. I was thinking of the platinum.
kty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I almost got the Platinum 360 one myself... decided on the Pioneer Big Max because of the reviews saying how easy and fast it was to clean. I'm sure the Drinkwell one would be great too!
BrnTabbyLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTabbyLvr View Post
The ceramic is pretty, but very breakable. One drop on the kitchen floor during a wash, and it's likely shattered. I have the Pioneer Big Max Stainless Steel. Love it. I didn't realize how huge it would be but since you have 5 kitties, it'll be good. It holds about 100 oz or so of water, and I have to refill using a 32 oz bottle about every 2 days or so for my two kitties. They love it! It is VERY easy to clean and assemble and is virtually silent as long as it has enough water in it. I clean mine on Saturdays or Sundays and the entire process takes about 10-15 minutes (dumping, cleaning, and refilling.) Filters are reasonable and can be found online for pretty cheap. Oh, and I would recommend shopping online for the fountain rather than going big box store. You'll save lots of money. So yeah... I totally recommend the Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel. I'd say the Raindrop one would be good too, you'd just have to refill more often. Hope this helps.
I will look into the big 100 oz ones... I found a regular sized one on ebay for less than 40 including s&h cheaper than walmart.

Thanks for all the input I wish steel came in black lol Most everything in the house is black or tan with the exception of the bathroom which is black and purple
Technoterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

I have the petmate freshflow fountain.

My cats really like it although it requires maintenance to keep going. It really needs to be thoroughly washed about every four days and filled with fresh water. It does have a charcoal filter that keeps the water good longer than a regular water dish but you cant let it go for a week because it gets all slimy.

I have heard some people rave about the drinkwell water fountains.

The one I have is likely made from and older plastic that probably contains BPA but I'm not gonna get over worried about that. I still drink from plastic cups containing BPA although theres a new trend of plastic products with BPA free labels on them. I think it is a bigger deal concerning plastics that contain hot fluids like coffee cups.
matacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement