I was the coupon queen at Petco today! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default I was the coupon queen at Petco today!

I hit Petco and a local pet store in my area, I was able to give the local store a little more business because I made out like a bandit at Petco!

Petco had coupons on their website. One for a free can of Fancy Feast and one for a free can of Natural Balance Delectable Delight Stew.

I also had my 2 Wellness coupons from this month ($3/bag of dry and $1/any can)

I got a 2lb bag of Wellness Core, 3oz can of Fancy Feast, 3oz Natural Balance, 3oz Wellness for just $11 after tax. The Wellness alone is $12 reg. price.

My cat has suddenly gotten a little picky and won't touch pate. He's also been a little snooty when it comes to chunks of meat. On top of what I bought at Petco, I got some Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, a couple cans of TikiCat and Halo Spot's Stew.

I probably spent about $18 today and my kitty and I are going to have a showdown over the next few weeks as far as busting him out of his pickiness.

The Fancy Feast I figured was good to have in an emergency. It was free after all!

Also, a discount store near me had 9Lives Tuna Select Daily Essential variety (NOT their tuna-flavored normal varieties). I pulled up their website while I was in the store, and this line is 95% meat (tuna) with no by-products. This probably deserves it's own thread, but I bought it because the ingredients seemed ok (except for a soy derivative). 4x 5.5oz for $1.80 - I figured I could donate it if it turns out to not be a hit - Curious if anyone has any opinion on this.

I'm a little concerned about so much fish, but I figure thrown into a rotation it can't hurt.
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

To clarify - wellness canned was on sale so that ended up free. I got all the wet for free and the dry for $3 off and paid tax on everything.

my kitten is about 7 months now and roughly 9 lbs. He has about 2 months of kitten food left. I figure by the time that starts to run out, there's no point in buying him more kitten food. He's starting to look a little on the pudgy side. Unless he's got another growth spurt in him, I figure this is as good a time as any to make the transition to adult food.

My vet thinks he'll be a 12-14 pounder, but I think he's going to max out around 10-11. He's my first cat though so my opinion is based mostly on seeing what he looks like now and knowing that about 90% of the cats my vet sees are probably overweight.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Is that the Fancy Feast "Breakfast" stuff that gives my kitties the poops? The free can
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph View Post
Is that the Fancy Feast "Breakfast" stuff that gives my kitties the poops? The free can
it was on any fancy feast up to $1.29. I grabbed some kind of chicken and turkey flaked variety - not the breakfast. I picked a kind that had as many ingredients as possible listed before getting to the "by products." I know this doesn't mean a whole lot since it's by weight, but it made me feel a little better.

Despite the low quality, there's something to be said for the way they put the style of food on the outside of every can in a very easy to read way. Since my baby started getting snobby with his food, I've found just how poorly labeled even a lot of the high end food actually is. I've bought a few things that sound chunky or flaky only to later find out it's pate. Who would think "hearty chicken dinner in gravy" is a pate? seriously!

Short of phoning the companies, I've started actually shaking the cans. non-pate foods with have a nice satisfying splashy/gloppy noise when you shake them haha.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Oo awesome! I love coupons XD

Where/how did you get the Wellness coupons?
coyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

They've been pushing the 'breakfast' variety pretty hard lately. With all the veggies on it. Like cats are vegatarians
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Wow what an awesome haul! I love shopping the sales and couponing. Fall is great for some really good deals on summer products!
Wish_Upon_A_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyt View Post
Oo awesome! I love coupons XD

Where/how did you get the Wellness coupons?
if you sign up for emails on their website, you'll get one email a month with 2 coupons at the bottom you can print out. I've been getting them for a few months now and it's always $1/can and $3/dry.

the coupons are also good on Wellness dog if you have other pets as well.

wellness small cans go on sale for $.99 quite frequently so it's basically a free can of quality food. You can use it on the larger cans as well though. Since my kitten prefers "fresh" from the can, I usually buy the smaller one when i'm using the coupon.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

I'm glad you got a good deal! I don't shop much at Petco anymore though because Pet Supplies Plus has the Wellness canned food at .20/can cheaper than at Petco in my area.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I'm glad you got a good deal! I don't shop much at Petco anymore though because Pet Supplies Plus has the Wellness canned food at .20/can cheaper than at Petco in my area.
i go when I have coupons. I was also very low on wet food and opened my last can this morning. I also wanted to start ordering online, but I'm not going to drop $30+ on cases of food until I know for sure he'll eat it.

I was talking to the lady at the local pet store, and suggested she put together a "sampler." I don't know if manufacturer's have rules for bundling their products or whatever, but it would be so convenient to go to the store and for $10 or $20 depending on how many cans, I can get a sampler of high-end, grain free, foods. Then different versions can be put together for allergy-type issues or fish-free. Or even a build-your-own!

Anyway, i bought about 10 cans so she gave me one free and said if I found something I liked, she could look into ordering whole cases of it or larger cans they might not normally carry. From her perspective, she said that she's happy to pass some of the savings on if she can count on a regular customer. so if a case costs X amount wholesale and she sells it for X+5, she'd sell it to me for X+2 assuming that I'd be likely to recommend her shop and pick up little extras like toys and treats when I'm in.

I'm so happy to have found found a shop that has reasonable prices to begin with and is willing to provide great customer service. They product line seemed very dog oriented, but she seemed genuinely interested in my cat and gave me her cell phone number in case of any issues or if I wanted to place a bulk order.

She was so perfect, she made me want to work there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement