Puke, puke, and more puke - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Puke, puke, and more puke

This is more of a rant than anything.
My cats love to puke. They must think I enjoy cleaning it up. I can usually figure out why they've puked by looking at it. It's usually one of three things:
1) hairball
2) ate too fast
3) ate something that wasn't food
*sigh* I really do get tired of it but what such is life with these two, I guess.
As far as the hairballs, I do give a hairball remedy goo that seems to help quite a bit. Doesn't stop it completely but helps.
For eating too fast, I've been meaning to try spreading the food out in a pan so it's harder to eat too quickly.
And for eating things that aren't food - well, I just need to be a better housekeeper!
Does anybody else have any of these issues (or all of these issues) with their cats?
justine2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have a problem with my two youngest eating too fast. It slowed down but about a month ago it was to the point that at least once a day someone was puking. The problem is that they eat wet only(mostly pâté), and anytime they have the urge to puke the run either upstairs or in the basement to puke on my light beige Berber carpet. Pâté and Berber don't match. If you don't catch it as its coming out of them the. It stains bad. My house is covered in cat puke stains. We will eventually have to replace it but no point now really.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ewww lol Whenever I feed Tiger wet food, he eats it like he hasn't had food in a week. He would throw it up (no wonder!) so I started giving him smaller doses. Didn't seem to help. I wasn't going to feed him 50 times a day with teeny tiny amounts so I just stopped giving him wet food. Wet food thrown up is so disgusting. The consistency of it....
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've had some success with mashing the wet food with a little water. I have a feeling that some ingredient is causing the food, when gulped in soft chunks, to stick in the gullet. Mashing it makes Missy eat slower. I may be wrong as to what is happening, but small amounts mashed seems to have stopped most of the vomiting. I also leave dry food available so that she doesn't get too hungry.

Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that saying the above doesn't bring on an episode of vomiting, which, apart from being yucky, always happens at inconvenient times.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What do you normally feed him? Cats shouldn't be constantly puking, just like people shouldn't be, it's his body trying to tell you something is wrong.

Likely his digestive tract is irritated and until you find a way to deal with that....

For the wet food, did you try a few different brands? You could also try feeding him in the bathroom and leaving him in there for a bit. Sometimes they'll eat and then get excited and run around, that causes upset tummies. So if you force him to settle and relax in one place for a bit after he eats it might help.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

How often do you give the hairball remedy? If you give it daily, it's going to interfere with your cats' digestion and nutrition absorption. This could be contributing to their puke-fests.

And feed them smaller amounts at a time. Give out a portion of their normal serving, let them scarf it, then force them to wait for a few minutes until you portion out another bit. Spreading it out won't slow them down appreciably.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
How often do you give the hairball remedy? If you give it daily, it's going to interfere with your cats' digestion and nutrition absorption. This could be contributing to their puke-fests.
Why would the hairball remedy do that? Is there something in it that limits the nutrition absorption?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hairball remedy is basically flavored petroleum jelly. Using it too often could really irritate your cats stomach, not to mention the effects of eating that sort of chemicals daily over time!

You should use it once a week, or if you notice your cat having trouble bringing up a hairball, not daily!

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat used to throw up quite frequently, mostly hairballs but sometimes kibble too if eaten too fast, or the occasional piece of plastic that he'd eat. Now he is on a grain-free canned food and doesn't throw up anymore! I also brush him out frequently and make sure all plastic is completely out of his reach. The last time he threw up a hairball was over a month ago. I also thought it was fairly normal, that some cats just puke a lot (even though my other cat has never puked in her life) until I made the food switch and started brushing him and noticed immense improvement.

I have also noticed how cats MUST puke on carpet. Ganymede used to wake me up in the middle of the night, gagging in the middle of my carpeted hallway, and I would rush to him and set him on the hardwood kitchen floor and hold him there (struggling, of course, because the carpet is such a better place to puke). So glad I haven't had to do that in a long time.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
Hairball remedy is basically flavored petroleum jelly. Using it too often could really irritate your cats stomach, not to mention the effects of eating that sort of chemicals daily over time!

You should use it once a week, or if you notice your cat having trouble bringing up a hairball, not daily!
I don't use it daily - mostly because I don't remember. And if it's upsetting his stomach, shouldn't it be making him throw up fairly soon after eating it? I have NEVER seen him throw up after being given the hairball remedy. With him it's usually after he eats - because he eats too fast - which is one of the three reasons I listed in the original post.
I do appreciate the extra information about hairball remedies because I didn't know that they stopped nutrition absorption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement