Older cat sudden equilibrium problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Older cat sudden equilibrium problem

my cat is about an estimated 18yrs old. Up until late this afternoon he made me question the estimated age when we had rescued him. He's always been a tank, very alert, running around, playing with the other cat etc.

Late this afternoon he started developing some equilibrium problems. He's askew sometimes walking on the carpet, and loses his footing a bunch on the ceramic tile.

I took him to the emergency vet and the basic panel and exam were inconclusive. He was quiet the entire car ride both ways, which is exceedingly not normal for him. His blood panel had his sugar a little high but the vet said it could be because of how elevated his heart rate/anxiety was from being there. One of his two kidney scores was a little abnormal, but the other was spot on.

Anyone else run into this? I understand his age is an issue and this might be the turning point, but it came on so suddenly. It was a little weird.
DanaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Did they check to see if he might have an ear infection?

Not to alarm you but I think a something neurologic like a stroke also might be a possibility and worth discussing with the vet.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Did they check to see if he might have an ear infection?

Not to alarm you but I think a something neurologic like a stroke also might be a possibility and worth discussing with the vet.

They got a decent look in his ears and didn't notice anything. She never mentioned a stroke after everything as one of the options. He's very alert and can still do everything fine. It's just noticeable that he's staying closer to the ground when walking, eating, etc and when he walks sometimes he shifts askew or on the ceramic tile floor half biffs.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Also the ER vet said no food or water the rest of the night so I moved the bowls, because he had vomited after eating (not completely unusual for him 10yrs into owning him). It's 3:30 am and I'm up only because he got annoyed and somehow knocked the food bowl off the kitchen table to get some food hah.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Vestibular disease/syndrome and stroke are the two possibilities that jump immediately to mind. Google "cat stroke" and "cat vestibular" and read up on them.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
Vestibular disease/syndrome and stroke are the two possibilities that jump immediately to mind. Google "cat stroke" and "cat vestibular" and read up on them.

Laurie
thank you. I did a bunch of reading on both today.

A quick update, Chester seems about 85% or more back to normal today. No swaying or losing his footing at all.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's terrific news! Here's hoping for a continued and complete recovery for Chester!

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
That's terrific news! Here's hoping for a continued and complete recovery for Chester!

Laurie

Thanks. I honestly think they misjudged his age a little. When we adopted him they said about 7.5yrs old. He seems fully recovered from the equilibrium so far. He's been running around and playful, for supposidly 18 that's pretty great. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's great! I hope it stays that way, keep an eye on him.

To estimate an older cat's age is very difficult. They could have been off in their estimate but cats can live into their early twenties sometimes, and appear healthy until the end when there's a fast decline. Cats more commonly live to about 14-18.

One of my kitties is 17 years old, with no issues his whole life. The other could be 12 or 20 for all I know, and is exceptionally healthy as well. Some cats hit the lotto genetically while others don't make it into their teens...

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I know you mentioned Chester is feeling better now, but did the emergency vets/any other vets check his blood pressure at any point?

High blood pressure can sometimes lead to vision and balance problems.