Kidney stones? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Kidney stones?

Has anyone had a cat with kidney stones? My boss's cat Gabbie apparently has them. She originally was diagnosed with a UTI (no crystals) and was put on meds. After 10 days, she was not cured and was put on another 10 day regimen. STILL had blood in the urine and after some X-rays they say she has kidney stones. She has been given prednisone to calm the inflamation and my boss's wife, Jan, is trying to see if she will pass them before going in for $600-$800 surgery where she could possibly lose a kidney.

Of course, they are going to Mexico for 2 weeks and I have to give Gabbie her medicine, which isn't a problem. I am also instructed to give her more canned food if she will eat it (which I am all for, because that is all my cats eat anyway). My question is: has anyone else had this happen with their cat? Were they able to pass them or was surgery necessary? Is there anything else I could possibly do to make her feel better while her mom and dad are on vacation? I am very worried something might happen to her while they are gone - fortunately their daughter is available to take her back to the vet if things get worse. Hopefully she will be just fine, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Can they use ultrasound to break up the stones?
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have no idea. I will have to ask Jan that when she gets home from vacation. Hopefully Gabbie will be feeling better by then, though.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Any news?
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Sorry, I didn't see you posted that until just now, I haven't been on here in a while.

Gabbie is done taking all medicine and seems to be acting totally normal. My boss and his wife came home from Mexico on Monday so they are with her now which is good.

The only issue she is having right now is that she is peeing outside of the box (mostly because she lifts her butt up as she pees, I think, my cat does it too) and is licking at herself a lot.

Her biggest problem is she is a 15lb cat when she should probably weigh like 7lbs, so she can't clean herself so someone has to do it for her. I kind of think this is the stem of her problems, really. She is on a diet now too so hopefully she can lose some weight.

As of right now, Jan is keeping an eye on her and I don't know if there are any more plans to go to the vet. Btw, the vet did not mention her obesity at all, even when Jan told her she had to clean her bottom for her! I couldn't believe that....