Hyperthyroidism - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I will make sure that I use the same medication and not inter change

I'll be speaking with the vet to clarify what they have on Monday

It's good to know that the carbimazole causes less stomach upsets

I had been planning to try the pills first and if he doesn't take them then move to the gel

Regarding the compounding if i do go that route then I suppose I would need to get a prescription from the vet anyway to get it made up at the other facility.

Do most of you do that or do you also buy the meds from the vet?
ktel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The gel was not available through my vet so I had to go to a compounding pharmacy. The vet only had pills.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #33 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have a question about the blood work that is done after administering the medication .

I understand that this is typically done after 3 weeks , adjustments made to dosage if necessary and then tested after another 3 weeks until the T4 levels are in the normal range.

However I would like to know if the blood work done is only to check T4 or should a more comprehensive panel be done to monitor any potential side effects of the meds.

I have been reading that the meds can cause anaemia and kidney issues and that if so it would be important to catch this early.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm trying to remember what we did...I think it was just a T4 level after 3 weeks and a full blood panel at maybe 6 weeks. And then she had one more complete test just before I131, which was another 5-6 weeks later.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Since I am not made out of money, this is the way I handle blood retesting during the med dose adjustment period. I check only Total T4 three weeks after every dose adjustment UNLESS the cat is exhibiting symptoms that indicate a possible kidney or liver problem (inappetance, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, yellow mucous membranes, etc.). Assuming none of these symptoms are present, I wait until the TT4 has lowered enough that I can reasonably expect the next retest to show euthyroid, then I request a full blood chemistry, TT4, and CBC for that final test.

Please note that normal TT4 for an older cat is at the lower end of the reference range, so don't be satisfied with a TT4 in the upper half of the reference range UNLESS the cat also has renal insufficiency (I'll explain more about the connection between hyperT and CRF later).

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
Since I am not made out of money, this is the way I handle blood retesting during the med dose adjustment period. I check only Total T4 three weeks after every dose adjustment UNLESS the cat is exhibiting symptoms that indicate a possible kidney or liver problem (inappetance, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, yellow mucous membranes, etc.). Assuming none of these symptoms are present, I wait until the TT4 has lowered enough that I can reasonably expect the next retest to show euthyroid, then I request a full blood chemistry, TT4, and CBC for that final test.

Please note that normal TT4 for an older cat is at the lower end of the reference range, so don't be satisfied with a TT4 in the upper half of the reference range UNLESS the cat also has renal insufficiency (I'll explain more about the connection between hyperT and CRF later).

Laurie
Thanks for the information, that seems like a good plan of action.

I'm definitely not comfortable with the first test after 6-8 weeks as has been suggested by the vet

I'm assuming that TT4 is total T4

I'm not sure what test was done for tiger- I'm going to check on that
I know the range is 10-60.

However I was wondering if it's a good idea to have total t4,free t4 and tsh tested to be sure of the hyperthyroid diagnosis

I'm asking as Tiger really doesn't have any clinical signs of the disease and I don't want to move forward before I'm sure as treatment itself has it's risks

Of course if he is hyperthyroid then I would want to move forward as soon as possible
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktel View Post
I'm assuming that TT4 is total T4
Right

Quote:
However I was wondering if it's a good idea to have total t4,free t4 and tsh tested to be sure of the hyperthyroid diagnosis
I, personally, wouldn't bother IF the previous test was a Total T4. But if you're not satisfied with the validity of the results, then go ahead with the full thyroid panel. Be sure to fast your cat for 8-12 hrs prior to the blood draw.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Razzle was diagnosed when he was 15. I tried the meds but he just threw up so i did the iodine treatment. It was great. He stayed at the vets for 3 days. It cost a total of $1300.00 in MA. I didn't have to do any x-rays or blood test before it was done. I would do it again.

Kathy
razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Kitten

Ktel,
My Nala was diagnosed in 2007 with Hyper T. I took her to the vet because I noticed weight loss, vomiting, excessive drinking and eating. She also had behavior issues. I donít remember her numbers, but the vet informed me of the options of medicine or the iodine treatment.
Since Nala was not the best patient when it came to taking pills, I decided to go for the Iodine treatment after doing some research. Trying to give her a pill every day would have been more stressful than 3 days away. A friendís cat had the treatment and did very well, so that also helped me make my decision.
Like Doodlebug, I took Nala to the vet (RadioCat in IL) on a Monday, and picked her up on a Thursday or Friday. She too was very happy to see me when I came to pick her up, kneading and purring in the cat carrier while I paid for her treatment, so I donít feel she was stressed out at all.
She responded very well to the treatment and lived almost another 5 years. I would highly recommend the Iodine treatment. Keep us posted on your decision and on Tigerís health.
Sucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Tiger had a second T4 test and that also came back high- 91 on a 10-60 scale

Also there has been an increase in his water consumption over the past week or so.

We have begun medication.

I am using the transdermal gel at a dose of 1.25mg twice a day

We will be resetting his T4 and other blood values in 4 weeks time

I'm interested in how much people pay for the trans dermal gel

My vet charges $46 for 4 syringes at 2.5mg/0.1ml

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement