Can cats have allergies? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Can cats have allergies?

I am just wondering because my Merlin sneezes numerous times a day and has so for the past couple of months. He doesn't seem sick them, eats plenty, and is playful. Could it be allergies?
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats can get allergies, but the symptoms are generally itching and overgrooming, not sneezing. If one of my cats started sneezing frequently, I'd have my vet check his nasal passages for polyps or foreign bodies like weed seeds.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Although skin problems are more common, it is possible for sneezing reactions to happen instead. Most animals can have that reaction to some things - I even had a horse with hayfever!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief View Post
Cats can get allergies, but the symptoms are generally itching and overgrooming, not sneezing. If one of my cats started sneezing frequently, I'd have my vet check his nasal passages for polyps or foreign bodies like weed seeds.

Laurie
I went through a period with Tiger with intermittent sneezing periods and a watery left eye a while ago. He would also shake his head as if he was congested.

It started in May 2010, he had a 3 week period of these symptoms and then nothing for 6 months when it started up again.

I discussed it with the vet.

It was a question of determining whether it might be due to a foreign object or something else. If I remember correctly other possibilities were a virus , I think chlamydia or the worst case scenario a polyp in the nasal cavity.

I did some research into that and the vet said he would have to have an endoscopic exam to investigate the polyp possibility.

I decided to take a wait and see approach as I though the endoscopic exam would be very stressful.

It did occur to me and the vet that it might be a seasonal issue based on the months without symptoms.

In the meantime I decided to look at all other possibilities .

I changed his clay litter to a dust free saw dust (feline fresh)

Although I already kept the house clean I was extra vigilant in terms of regular dusting and vacuuming.

I was already using cruelty free/green household products for the most part but around that time went 100% .

Following this he had no issues until around a month ago- after a year symptom free.

Shortly before this I had used arm and hammer carpet deodorizer powder on his cat tree.

I'm fairly sure this was the reason for Tiger's issues .

The whole time he had the issues I lived in an apartment with carpet and sometimes used the carpet powder.

I then moved into an apartment with hardwood floors and up until the time I used the powder on the cat tree he had been symptom free .

It took me a long time to piece this together and thought I would share .
ktel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Peg
Kitten

My 5 month old is starting to scratch his outer ear and chin. I don't see any rash, loss of hair, or irritation at all. He has always had Iams kitten food but I give him a variety of wet food occasionally. Does anyone know of anything in wet food(or treats)that could possibly cause him to itch? Skin allergies are a nightmare!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Celia used to sneeze occasionally, but when she did, she'd sneeze about 25 times in row. I figured something might have gotten in her nose. I once bumped her nose by accident, and she had a sneezing fit then too.

A few weeks ago, she was sneezing a few times a day, but I think it must have been a cold. It went away in about 4 days. She does have seasonal allergies, apparently, but as laurief said, her symptoms are itchiness and scratching everywhere. Since your kitty's been sneezing for a while, I'd take him to the vet. Maybe check your air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktel View Post

Shortly before this I had used arm and hammer carpet deodorizer powder on his cat tree.

I'm fairly sure this was the reason for Tiger's issues .

The whole time he had the issues I lived in an apartment with carpet and sometimes used the carpet powder.

I then moved into an apartment with hardwood floors and up until the time I used the powder on the cat tree he had been symptom free .

It took me a long time to piece this together and thought I would share .
Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer caused one of my cats to lick all the fur off the base of her tail, and it took me a while to figure it out too. The vet said it was an allergy, possibly to chicken, so I was supposed to force her to eat this duck and green pea wet food. She starved herself for 36 hours. Since I never thought it was a food allergy, I gave up and thought about environmental issues. And it finally occurred to me that the only thing I'd changed was to start sprinkling that powder on the carpet before I vacuumed. Ironically, I believe the product was specifically a pet odor deodorizer.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

my kitty is 11 weeks old. she sneezes alot too. we took her to the vet today and they gave her medicine called clavamax. So hopefully this works.. if not then im thinking its the kitty litter we have. I might have to change the kitty litter cause everytime she goes in there and comes out sneezing.
hatchet2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

One of my fosters has allergies at certain times of the year. They do go out on the screened in porch where I think he has contact with what ever is bothering him. We all froze when I first saw the patch of irritated skin. We thought it might be ringworm starting up again. But the vet said it was an allergy. Now he gets meds for it each year it shows up. He scratches by the ear and irritates the skin. He is given L-Metronidazole Benz.

Ace is my foster which no one has adopted. He has been with me for a couple years. He is a black cat with long hair. Thus one of the reasons he isn't adopted yet. He is a big love. We think he is part Maine Coon, because he is a giant of a cat! He loves other cats. I wish hed find his perfect home.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement