Sadie has a small lump on the back of her head - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Sadie has a small lump on the back of her head

The vet thinks it's probably a tumor.

I noticed it a week or two ago. It is small, about half a cm or so in size, just under the skin.

I have read that skin tumors are not that uncommon, and often benign. I am really hoping that's all it is. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Our vet said there are a couple of options. She can aspirate it with a needle to get a cell sample and send it in for analysis. Depending on the sample, this could give a diagnosis, or it may not.
Or, I could just have it surgically removed and they could send it in to have it analyzed (a histopath).
Sadie could also use a dental, and it all could be done at once. This is the way I'm leaning at the moment. I don't really see the point of doing the needle aspiration if it may not even give any answers and if the lump should still be removed anyway.
I'm not even sure it's worth finding out what kind of tumor it is. The histopath alone would cost over $100. If it is malignant, what would it change and where do I even go from there? If it has not spread, its gone, but if it has...well, I'm not going to put her through any harsh cancer treatment just to buy her some time. Gosh, I don't even want to think about that possibility right now...
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I have no advice unfortunately but I'm very sorry you're going through this *paws crossed and prayers sent your way* Hopefully it's benign and nothing to worry about!
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm sorry you and Sadie are going through this. How old is she?

Faced with a similar situation about 10 years ago, I opted for the surgery on my 12 year old cat. The tumor was malignant, but they got it all and there was no recurrence.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Blacky has a lump under her skin behind one of her ears, which I first freaked out about, when I showed the vet they didn't seem concerned, saying they could remove it but that it would be more important to keep an eye on it and if gets bigger/changes then they'd want to know. She's had it for like 3+ years and there's zero change.

When Blacky needs to be put under for whatever reason (I'm thinking a teeth cleaning), we'll get it removed. Until then, it doesn't cause her any problems.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup...been there. Callie had a lump on the top of her head, vet said "let's just monitor it". A few months later it became 3 lumps. They aspirated a sample and the results came back that it was benign but the cells were of a type that were likely to become cancerous, so remove it. She had the surgery, it was sent for a biopsy and it came back as fibrosarcoma.

Everything I read had me believing that she had about a year before it would re-occur and spread. I took her for a consultation for chemo/radiation and they also indicated that she had about a year and treatment would only buy her an additional 3-6 months. I felt 6 weeks of daily radiation and all that entailed would not be in her best interest given the minimal gain. So I just prepared to spoil her for as long as I had her.

Lost her 3 years later to something completely unrelated and no indication of re-occurance at all.

So my recommendation would be to definitely get it removed rather aspirating a sample because my experience with the sample wasn't really useful. Make sure they get good margins and hope that's the end of it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Both of my guys had small tumors. Felix had one on his side. We skipped the needle aspiration and elected to have it removed. It was benign. Oscar had one on his rear paw pad. The vet tech actually found it when Oscar was on the table having his teeth cleaned! The vet called me and said she could remove it right then and I gave the okay. That one was also benign. Neither of them had any reoccurence. The worst thing was waiting for the test results. Well, that and the fact that Oscar decided that he no longer wanted the bandage on his paw 10 minutes after the vet's office closed on a Saturday...

I think you should have it tested, just so you know. Wondering would probably be worse than not knowing.
OSCARSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sadie is about 9 years old. She's been a pretty healthy cat all her life.
All of your stories make me feel better about the situation, especially knowing that there's a good chance that it's benign, and even if it's not, this little tumor could still be the end of it.

Oscarsmom, I think you're probably right about testing it, if only for (hopefully) peace of mind. Just wish it was a bit more affordable, you know? The vets around here are expensive, (especially knowing what the same sort of things cost when I was living in a more rural area), and I've already spent so much on Cheddar's vet bills in the last month.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Oscarsmom, I think you're probably right about testing it, if only for (hopefully) peace of mind. Just wish it was a bit more affordable, you know? The vets around here are expensive, (especially knowing what the same sort of things cost when I was living in a more rural area), and I've already spent so much on Cheddar's vet bills in the last month.
I know what you mean. Oscar is going through a bit of a rough patch right now and the bills have been high. We just tell Oscar that he needs to get a part time job so he can help out, or he is just gonna have to work it off with extra cuddling sessions!

Hope all goes well with Sadie.
OSCARSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sadie goes in tomorrow for surgery to have the mass removed. She'll be having her teeth cleaned while she's under as well.

I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but it feels like it's gotten a little bit bigger in the last week...
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you and Sadie. Keep us updated. (((((hugs)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement