Bear Bear is getting the snip snip... - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
Did your vet say why he prefers to wait until 6 months to neuter? Star and Lucky were three months old when they were neutered.
Research shows it is more optimal to do when younger. Some vets do it simply because that's what they've always done. It is more common to find this in the vets that aren't up to date on their education.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I did both of my boys at 16 weeks. They were both in the 5.5-6lb range anyway, so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Scottd I even sent him copies of a research article on early neuter but he said no... and since Bear had such a rough start I didn't argue. It seems to have been fine to wait (he didn't start spraying or anything and he recovered very quickly). I wouldn't personally wouldn't wait past 6 months, though, but I also wouldn't do earlier than 2 months (or later if they're under 2 pounds). Maybe 4 or so would be ideal? My best friend had her boy neutered as early as possible and thinks it made him stay too kitten-like behavior-wise but that's anecdotal, not research-based, so it could just be her imagination.
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin44 View Post
Scottd I even sent him copies of a research article on early neuter but he said no... and since Bear had such a rough start I didn't argue. It seems to have been fine to wait (he didn't start spraying or anything and he recovered very quickly). I wouldn't personally wouldn't wait past 6 months, though, but I also wouldn't do earlier than 2 months (or later if they're under 2 pounds). Maybe 4 or so would be ideal? My best friend had her boy neutered as early as possible and thinks it made him stay too kitten-like behavior-wise but that's anecdotal, not research-based, so it could just be her imagination.
I'm really not surprised. This is one of the reasons I really like my vet. She's willing to do research and discuss it with me. It sucks that a lot of vets don't stay up to date and aren't even willing to do a little research on a specific topic.

I think 3-4 months is probably an optimal time to do it but 2 won't hurt as long as they weigh enough and aren't sick.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

"2 months/2lbs seems to be the newest criteria. My kitten was neutered at 9 weeks and 2.3lbs."

That's what all the vets I've been in contact with recommend. The shelter I foster for says kittens have to be 2lbs before I send them back for adoption, because they'll be snipped before they go to their new homes (after adoption, the shelter transports the kittens to the vet and the new owners pick up from there).

Also, the spay/neuter clinic I work with for my private fosters has an 8 weeks/2 lbs minimum for kittens. I've never had a kitten that young have a problem with the surgery and I'm up to probably 30 surgeries so far between fosters and my permanent babies. They don't seem nearly as "drunk" for nearly as long after the surgeries as the adults I've had get that procedure either. It just seems like the younger they are, the faster they bounce back.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hmm, Bear was "drunk" for probably 3 hours... is that normal?
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Cat

A couple hours is pretty normal I think. My vet keeps them overnight and I pick them up the next day, so 12+ hours post surgery and they were all fully awake and ready to go, even the adults. My friend who had her 6-7 month old female snipped said she was groggy for 12-18 hours after. That's longer than I'd expect, but she pulled through just fine, no additional vet care needed.

With the vets I've used in the past, or with surgeries other than spay/neuter, it takes several hours to bounce back, on average. Our kitten who had surgery for his pectus excavatum (chest deformity) was groggy for days after, but he was 1. seriously ill (hence the need for surgery) and 2.) on some REALLY good pain meds, which made him seem "drunk" on their own.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It also greatly depends on what anesthesia they're using.

Inhalent anesthesia like isoflurane or sevoflurane wear off very quickly.

Some IV anesthesia can be "reversed" while others have to work their way out of the body.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Sounds like your little guy is doing very well. One of our males had to be taken back ---something stringy coming out of his testicle and they had to re-stitch, but they are (litter of 5) all doing well, 7.5 years and counting. Hope you enjoy many great years with your Bear.
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My little guy was 5 months and 8 lbs when he got the snip. I like waiting at least until they are 12 weeks, then can get their rabies shot and neuter/spay all at once. I prefer to have my animal back the same day and recover them at home where I can watch them for signs of licking. I just worry that they might get the e collar off, start licking and there is no one there to stop them. Gives me the shivers just thinking about what could happen.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement