Lili's Lab Results - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Lili's Lab Results

Hello everyone,

I am currently helping an elderly next door neighbor take care of her 3 cats. My neighbor has two 7 year old siblings, Lili and Lobo, and a 6 year old former stray, Smeagal. Personally, I have a 2 year old cat named Buffy and a 8 year old shih tzu named Raven.

This post is about one of the 7 year olds named Lili. I took her to the vet on October 31, 2012 and had the vet do a complete bloodwork panel and urinalysis in part due to her age but also because she had a unirary tract infection in August 2012. The August vet visit was before I started taking care of her cats and no blood work was done then.

I took Lili to the vet because she had a slight fever for a couple of days and had what her owner thought was an abcess by her anus. It turns out Lili had a very bad infection of her girly parts. She's doing MUCH better today after putting antibotic cream on the infected area twice a day for 5 days and now I'm doing it once a day until I run out of the ontiment just to be safe.

Since Lili's appointment was late in the day she stayed overnight at the animal hospital. The vet took the blood sample that day and cleaned / derided the infected area the next morning. When I picked her up I asked for a copy of the lab results. I didn't talk to a vet about her labs but was told that if there was a problem then the vet would have called to discuss any issues. Below are Lili's high resuts from last week. Can someone please tell me what they mean?

Superchem

Albumin = 4.2 (HIGH) = 2.5 - 3.9
Calcium = 11.4 (HIGH) = 8.2 - 10.8

Urinalysis

Protein = 2+ (HIGH) = Negative
Occult Blood = 1+ (HIGH) = Negative

I"ve also attached a copy of her full lab report. I'll post separately on her brother's (Lobo) lab results which I'll get later this week. Thanks for the information!
Attached Thumbnails
Lili's Lab Results-lilis-blood-work-results-9-8-11-11-5-12.jpg  

Last edited by marie73; 11-08-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: font size
JBerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I'm not personally acquainted with kitties with these kinds of values, but here's what I found on a quick Google:

Feline Blood Test Values and What they Mean: Revealing cat health problems.

"Albumin - The main protein in blood. Chemically, albumin is soluble in water, precipitated by acid, and coagulated by heat. Albumin and Globulin measure the amount and type of protein in your blood. They are a general index of overall health and nutrition. Globulin is the "antibody" protein important for fighting disease."

"Calcium Is controlled in the blood by the parathyroid glands and the kidneys. Calcium is found mostly in bone and is important for proper blood clotting, nerve, and cell activity. An elevated calcium can be due to medications such as thiazide type diuretics, inherited disorders of calcium handling in the kidneys, or excess parathyroid gland activity or vitamin D. Low calcium can be due to certain metabolic disorders such as insufficient parathyroid hormone; or drugs like Fosamax or furosemide type diuretics. Calcium is bound to albumin in the blood, so a low albumin level will cause the total calcium level in the blood to drop. You doctor can easily determine if this is significant or not."

Understanding Blood Work: The Biochemical Profile for Cats - Page 1

"Albumin is the major protein found in the body. It carries various substances through the blood and is important in maintaining pressure within the vessels. High levels indicate dehydration. Low levels indicate chronic inflammation, liver disease, kidney disease, starvation and blood loss."

"Calcium is a mineral found throughout the body. It is the basis for bones, teeth and muscle contractions. High levels indicate certain forms of cancer, excess intake of vitamin D and an overactive parathyroid gland. Low levels indicate eclampsia, severe pancreatitis, dietary imbalance, intestinal absorption disorders, low intact of vitamin D, Cushing's disease and certain toxin ingestions."

Of course, these interpretations are just that - interpretations. They might not mean that Lili has any of the diseases or conditions mentioned in the results. I think the vet would be the best one suited to tell you what these values mean in regards to Lili and her overall health/situation.

Since the person who gave you the lab results did not seem overly concerned (and you didn't get a call from the vet), I imagine that the values are not indicative of some kind of disease/condition, but you might want to call the vet with your concerns anyway :}

However, I do hope this helps somewhat!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

LakotaWolf,

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate the input.
JBerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Call them! There should not be protein in the urine. >.<;
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement