Adult food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Adult food

At what age do Kittens start on adult food? Have any of you heard of NOW kitten food? This was recommend very highly for our kitten. She is eating a high quality kibble, but a not so great wet.

Last edited by doodlebug; 11-09-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Please use the forum default font type and size.
munchkn8835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Technically a cat should be on kitten or all life stages food until 1 year. If it's an excellent quality food, I'm comfortable with using an adult food after 6 months.

As kibble goes, Now! is an excellent kibble. All fresh meat, no rendered meals. They don't make a canned food. But their sister company Go! makes a great canned.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Now! Adult is a little too carby for me, I haven't looked at the kitten formula. You might consider looking at Go! Fit + Free. It has a considerable amount of protein It's made by the same company. Petcurean's customer service is unbelievably great too.

I'm feeding all stages food to the kitten I have right now. It's easier to find and there's a bigger variety. She's getting only canned right now but I'm considering adding in some kibble.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Both the shelter and the vet recommended a year but since I prepare a fair but of the food myself that tends to be a bit out of the window anyway.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

like everyone, I was aiming for a year. My kitten was starting to look a little pudgy, and I'm running low on kitten food anyway so we're starting the transition now at around 9 months.

He still gets mostly wet, but I'll be moving from Wellness kitten to Taste of the Wild in hopes of saving a little cash to shift into the wet food budget. Taste of the Wild is "all stages" anyway I'm pretty sure, so I'm starting the transition to make sure he takes to the food OK then I'll be cutting down to more adult portions.
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Doodlebug -- why is it a problem if I use a larger type...don't change color or font type. It is easier to read.
munchkn8835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's not easier for everyone, plus it's in the rules

Quote:
g. Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing".
That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

munchkn8835: If you have trouble reading the font size in the posts, you can just increase the zoom level on your computer screen. That way, the font in all of the posts will appear larger to you, but will still look the same to everybody else.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkn8835 View Post
At what age do Kittens start on adult food? Have any of you heard of NOW kitten food? This was recommend very highly for our kitten. She is eating a high quality kibble, but a not so great wet.
I am not familiar with the brand of food, NOW. Generally a veterinarian will advise to keep a kitten on kitten food until about 12 months of age. That said, I did put my cat Swiffer on adult food at about 5 months of age with veterinarian approval. She did quite well on adult food. The reason I did this was because I had all 3 life stages of cat in the house, kitten, adult and senior. Keeping their food straight and keeping them out of each others bowls was making me crazy I talked to the vet and since I feed a high quality diet, advised the adult formula was fine for all 3 life stages. Swiffer thrived. We're all happy.

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2012 at 01:09 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement