Dry food vs Wet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Dry food vs Wet food

My cats eat Wellness dry food in the morning and Wellness wet food at night. I can't afford to put them on a strict wet diet, at least on the wet food they do eat. I've read a lot about how a wet food diet is the best thing for cats, but is it okay that my cats eat a little of both?
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

How much do you pay for the dry and wet foods? You could probably pay the same for a good quality wet food that is less expensive.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Dry food is about 35 dollars every six weeks or so (we get the big bag) and I spend about 25 dollars a month on wet food. He enjoys Wellness and he rarely leaves any in the bowl. I've tried a few other brands that are "grain-free" but he doesn't go crazy for them like he does with Wellness. And I don't really know what other brands to try. He's had Natural Balance (left 3/4 of it in the bowl) and Innova. What would you guys recommend? I have to get him more soft food soon so maybe I'll pick up a few cans and see how he likes it.

Last edited by tigre86; 11-09-2012 at 11:58 PM.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

This is something I'm curious about as well. My kittens eat wet and dry food as well. They eat Natural Balance wet and right now I am trying to find a quality dry food that is not so expensive. I've heard Kirklands brand was great quality and value for dry and Traders Joes wet was a decent quality... Would love to hear what other say since I am a new mom to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Mom2BoscoNHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Im assuming your big bag is about 15 lbs or so?? I used to feed dry and wet until I discovered The Honest Kitchen cat food. Its a dehydrated raw food that comes in 2 or 4 pound boxes. The 4 lb box makes I believe 12 or so pounds of cat food. And it runs about 40 dollars. So you can kinda compare it to a bag of kibble and its basically the same cost because your cat would be eating less of the Honest Kitchen food.

The Honest Kitchen

My cats love it. All you do is add a little bit of water and its kind of like an oatmeal and MUCH more healthy than kibble at the same price! I feed the Honest Kitchen Prowl and a variety of Weruva, Soulistic, and Im starting to add in a little bit of Natures Variety cans just for some different protein sources.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Have you looked at buying large cans of EVO 95%? It is fairly cheap and it's a good food.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
This is something I'm curious about as well. My kittens eat wet and dry food as well. They eat Natural Balance wet and right now I am trying to find a quality dry food that is not so expensive. I've heard Kirklands brand was great quality and value for dry and Traders Joes wet was a decent quality... Would love to hear what other say since I am a new mom to this.
As far as getting the biggest bang for you buck. Taste of the Wild I found is the best food you can get in terms of price per pound. However read my previous post too about The Honest Kitchen ^^^ If you go on their website you can order little sample boxes to try. And if I remember right you get a percentage off your first order of a regular 2 or 4 pound box!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

EVO 95% is definitely cheaper than Taste of the Wild, especially as 13.2 oz cans, at least on petfooddirect.com where I order food. The chicken & turkey, the other "cat food" and the beef one are 21.99 for 12 cans of 13.2 oz. They have other varieties as well...I ordered 2 cases of the variety pack which also includes the duck and the venison. I think that was about $27. I also agree with the Trader Joe's wet food suggestion; it's $0.69/can. I stopped at Trader Joe's just before Hurricane Sandy hit and I was happy to see they offer cat food without byproducts. I picked up a few cans just to make sure I don't run out in the aftermath and my cat scarfed it down.

Zilla, thanks for the suggestion of The Honest Chicken. I might get that next time. Cutting up a beef heart was the most disgusting hour of my life. Two hours later and 7 or 8 hand-washings later (I couldn't get the smell off of my hands!) , I tried to eat a pickle and almost threw up. The experience, the smell...not to be repeated, I don't think.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

In terms of just dry Taste of the wild is a GOOD value. But thats awesome if Evo is cheaper than dry! I didnt know that But hey since your online at the moment! Ive mentioned this on a couple threads but no ones ever responded. Do you know anything about the ingredient carrageenan??? Its in almost ALL of the canned foods out there. I read something that says it increases your pets risk for certain cancers. I specifically read this article but theres a lot more of them out there saying the same thing.

Carrageenan: should it be in your cat's food? | The Conscious Cat

She lists on there 3 foods that dont contain it. Natures Variety, Natures Logic, and Weruva. Another one I have found is Soulistic made for Petco by Weruva. But only the "in gravy" varietys dont have it. Look on Evo. Wellness, Blue.... They all have it! Im kinda a worry wort so ever since Ive been reading on this ingredient Ive stayed clear of it. Theres even some articles saying it can have the same effect on people... I just wanna know if anyones aware of it here??? Like does anyone know its true or not true?

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by Zilla; 11-10-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Carrageenan in a lot of human food too. It's a controversial ingredient and I personally try to avoid it. I know that Petcurean is in the process of removing it from their canned foods. They may already have, I'm not sure. I would still feed a food with carrageenan before dry though.

Carrageenan is a thickener. If you ever eat prepared pasta salad, it probably has it in it. There are safer alternatives like guar gum though.