IBD: Atopica and Corn food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default IBD: Atopica and Corn food

The loose stool saga continues in our household with our two youngest Coons, Charlie and Rosie. They've had issues since we got them home and were feeding them the Royal Canine dry food sample supplied by the breeder. Charlie actually had explosive diarrhea, which prompted us to take them in to the vet again, after their initial visit. Rosie had some kind of skin irritation/allergy thing going on which resulted in some kind of waxy, brown crud appearing on the inside edges of her little ears. She got a shot of Convenia antibiotic and Charlie went home with some Metronidazole. The got FortaFlora probiotics as well. Unfortunately, we got sucked into buying Hill's dry food crap at that time.

Rosie's ears got better and Charile's explosive diarrhea seemed to go away but both continue to have very loose, vile smelling stools.

Our slightly older Coon, Suzy, (2 months older) from the same breeder, but obviously not from the same parentage, has had no problems, even though she's been on the same diet regimen.

We researched and found that grain free/wet food is the way to go and that the grain laden nonsense that is Hill's was bad news. So, we got Weruva wet Peking Ducken, Halo Spot and Nature Variety Duck to feed them.

No real help after two weeks.

So, last Tuesday, back to the vet we went. She diagnoses them with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This time, the little guys got Atopica and IAM's low residue dry food. I have my reservations about the IAM's as the ingredients list corn, corn particles, corn dust, corn tidbits, corn byproducts, corn mash, corn bits, corn tidbits fortified with grain dust, corn grain, grain corn and corn leavings etc rather predominantly. (I exaggerate slightly, but corn is a feature.)

We're supposed to follow this regimen for two weeks and see if it helps. The yellow vile stuff seems to have stopped but they're both very loose yet.

If it hasn't stopped the vet says she will treat them for whipworm even though the odds of them having worms are remote.

Naturally we're worried about the little guys and are looking for some insight. We thought going to a quality wet food like Weruva would be the answer.

Thanks!

Last edited by NETim; 11-10-2012 at 08:53 AM.
NETim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I haven't read all your history, but when a vet diagnoses two cats at the same time with Inflammatory Bowel Disease I get really irritated. Cats just don't develop a condition like IBD in tandem, even if they are littermates.

Have they been tested for T. Foetus? It's a microscopic parasite that is not part of the normal stool sample regimen but it is becoming more prevalent especially in catteries. Have you contacted the breeder to see if she's been having any issues in her cattery?

Another possibility is a protein intolerance. I can buy into littermates having the same intolerance as it often has a hereditary link. My MC had diarrhea issues when I first brought her home...turns out it was fish. You might want to try a single protein food that is something more unique...lamb, rabbit, pheasant etc.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm not sure if they've been tested for T. Foetus. The vet seems thorough but I'll ask. The breeder tells us that no other litter mates are experiencing problems and questions our choices of diet.

But frankly, we don't exactly trust her word presently. She has not provided the papers on the older Coon female we bought from her, Suzy. She's now telling us that the breeder she bought her from is slow in providing the paperwork. We weren't aware that she had bought her from another breeder for resale.

They've been getting predominantly duck and chicken wet food. Have to hunt down some rabbit or something when we get through this trial period.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
We researched and found that grain free/wet food is the way to go and that the grain laden nonsense that is Hill's was bad news. So, we got Weruva wet Peking Ducken, Halo Spot and Nature Variety Duck to feed them.
Maybe trying to feed that variety all at once didnt help??... :/ You could try just feeding one kind of canned and maybe one kind of protein for a while like the Natures Variety. They come in Venison and Rabbit too by the way.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I've spent some time reading about the insidious, evil T. Foetus today. As usual, the 'net in an invaluable resource for this kind of work.

At this point in time, I'd be wiling to bet next week's paycheck that our cats are infected with the evil, insidious T. Foetus parasite. The cats produce "cowpie" malodorous stool and make me want to gag when it's time to clean up. ACK!

Anyway, after reading that same day locally performed fecal smears can be counted on to detect an infection only 14% of the time, and given the time and expense required in the other means of detection, I seriously doubt that our brood has been fully and completely vetted for the stuff.

Cats will get tested properly. Poor little guys are sore and I'm sure they're tired of it.

In the mean time, I think I'll get some pumpkin out for them. They seem to eat it in small amounts, which can't hurt.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I didn't have time earlier today, but want to share the story of the first time I heard of T. Foetus. It was a member here...she got a little orange and white boy at the same time I got Holly. Her guy came with diarrhea, during the first few weeks it came and went. Then her older guy started with it. They tried everything...meds, pumpkin, probiotics, diet change and eventually the vet declared that they had IBD and I think he wanted to put them on steroids (probably pred). I thought the vet had lost his mind...one cat comes with diarrhea, a few weeks later the second cat has it...that screams something contagious. I encouraged her to go to another vet and the new one diagnosed the T. Foetus.

So that's why I said I'd be irritated with a vet that diagnoses two cats at the same time with IBD. They seem to use IBD as a catch all when they have no clue what's going on. Seriously, what are the chances that a 2-3 year old and a new kitten both develop IBD at the same time, especially when the older cat had been fine until the kitten came along with diarrhea from the get go.

Anyway, your cats may not have T. Foetus, but it's certainly worth looking for when the more pedestrian stuff has been ruled out.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement