3-year old cat with kidney disease?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default 3-year old cat with kidney disease??

Hi all - I am hoping for some advice. Last May I adopted a beautiful rescue cat named Ziggy. She was estimated at 2 years old when her rescuer pulled her from the euthanasia list at NYC's Animal Care & Control in December, so she's now about 3. She had a bad URI when she was pulled, but with the right antibiotics, that cleared up. Ziggy is a torbie with emerald-green eyes and the sweetest disposition. All she wants is to be loved - from anyone who walks in the house! She gives so many kitty kisses that I no longer need to exfoliate my nose.

I noticed a few weeks ago that Ziggy looked a little thinner. I brought her to the vet and she weighed 9.8 lbs - down from 12.1 lbs in June! Her fecal test was negative. The blood tests were mostly normal except for an elevated creatinine level (2.3). Her BUN was normal. She tested positive for coronavirus, but the vet said that most cats rescued from shelters carried corona. He was concerned about a little cough she had in his office - she's coughed a couple of times at home, but much more in his office. He did xrays and was concerned about a couple of spots he saw so he had the xrays read by a radiologist from Animal Medical Center. It turned out that her lungs were okay but her kidneys looked a little small. On Monday I'm bringing her for an abdominal ultrasound to get a better look at her kidneys.

Can she really have kidney disease at this age? Maybe she lost weight because she just doesn't eat enough? I had gradually transitioned her from a diet of mostly Iams dry at her foster home to Wellness canned. She seemed to like the Wellness but didn't eat very much of it - maybe half a can a day (a quarter can in the morning and a quarter at night). If I put down more food, she left it. I tried other high-quality brands like Innova and Weruva with the same results. I tried to supplement her diet with a little bit of Wellness dry food, but then she ate the dry and left the wet so I stopped the dry.

For the last few days I have started feeding her Fancy Feast Roast Turkey and Minced Turkey (those flavors are lower in phosphorous & sodium than others). She's eating much more of the FF than she did of the Wellness, and I'm hoping I can put some weight back on her. The vet is going to want to put her on a KD-type diet. I have concerns about whether that is the right thing to do. I explained to him that maybe she just wasn't eating enough, but he said that doesn't explain the high creatinine level.

I guess we'll know more after the ultrasound. I'm not sure what to do here, and I wonder what experiences other people here have had. My last cat died of kidney disease - she was diagnosed at 7 years, and that was considered young! Ziggy's only 3.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can give!

Emmikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement