Email From Evo Rep - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The UK has lots of junk brands of foods just like we do...put out by the same companies, under different names.

Just about every company has had negative incidents at one time or another. Just about all of them use an ingredient or two that isn't optimal. We can make a choice that seems reasonable and not obsess. Or we can get caught up and make ourselves crazy...like the old lady who came into my store the other day who wanted to go through the entire stock of Go! canned food to pick out the perfect cans, if there was any little imperfection she didn't want it...and that included some scratches on the paper labels where two cans rubbed together as the case shifted around during transport. Total Fruit Loop, that one...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I can understand the mold but the plastic and the nails??? I don't.... Let alone them not willing to take blame and offering some kind of solution... I would at least expect that. But in all the stories I've read they've blamed it on the consumer.... And last I checked when you ran a business the customer was always right.... I've always been told that... Even at the reptile store I used to work at... Now that was a trip sometimes haha but I still held up to it

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I work in management at an IT company and you would be surprised what customers claim we do when it just isn't possible. I've had more than one that have submitted a request for cancellation which requires you to confirm it before it submits and then sends a follow up email telling you it's been submitted and you have X hours to contact us if you change your mind. They swear up and down they didn't cancel yet the paper trail exists and proves they did. Trust me, the customer is NOT always right.

If their internal investigation results say it's not possible then why would they take the blame? That's opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. I'm not saying the customers weren't telling the truth but for example, those nails could have added after the customer bought it. I know a lot of people who store their pet food with other non-food items such as household tools. If your bag of pet food is on the floor under a shelf and you or someone else knocks off a bowl of nails from the shelf, it could easily go in the bag. Some people wouldn't notice and if it were someone working temporarily in the house, they might not even care.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The plastic is a very understandable thing...it's a manufacturing environment, machine break, pieces may go flying. A small piece could break off and the equipment may still be functioning so it goes unnoticed. This kind of stuff happens all the time, I remember my grandmother finding glass in a can of corn and that was probably 40 years ago. One incident does not make a pattern.

As for the nails, I find the story pretty suspicious...the dog food supposedly had nails in it, yet they report it to Petco, send a letter to Merrick and wait for a response. Nothing mentioned about taking the dog to the vet. If it were my dog, that's the first thing I'm doing...nails show up very nicely on x-rays. Then to top it off...they throw the product away. I assume the bag went with it so now there's no lot code info for any traceability.

I do agree that they should have been more responsive than they were.

Now if you want something to be concerned about with Merrick...I'd be more concerned about the several dog treat recalls they've had in the last few years for salmonella.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
you would be surprised what customers claim we do when it just isn't possible.
I wouldn't be surprised, I deal with it all the time too. They lie and try to scam something for free all the time. Some of them are just mistaken, but they argue when you tell them so. Just this week I had someone mad at me for no longer carrying Bravo Freeze Dried Salmon dog treats. I knew that I had never carried them, but I put a puzzled look on my face and said "oh, I don't think I ever had those...let me check" and I looked in my system. I said "nope, but I can order them for next week". He still absolutely insisted that he had bought them from me several times. No sense arguing...I just ordered them, darn guy better buy them!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
your telling me... I wish I lived in the UK.... Stricter standards on everything and I think someone even said its illegal to Falsely advertise products... If that was the case in the US I don't think half the pet foods here would actually be LEGAL... Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
While I don't necessarily think that is true Zilla the standards in the US for both human and pet food seem to be different. I don't know about the UK but a huge number of companies here us copackers so they have little control of where the ingredients are purchased or how the manufacturing plants are handling their food. The scary number of salmonella outbreaks here the past year is testimony to that. A small number of pet foods manufacture their own food.

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2012 at 01:07 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement