Email From Evo Rep - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Email From Evo Rep

Just thought I would share this with everyone. I emailed Evo asking about the ingredient "carrageenan" used in their foods. Here is the response I got in only a day! Pretty fast reply I think.

Quote:
Dear Emily,

Thank you for contacting Natura Pet Products regarding our canned pet foods.

Carrageenan is widely used in both the human food industry and the pet food industry and has been proven to be a safe and approved ingredient.

Natura does not use degraded low molecular weight carrageenan which has been raised as a concern.

The following products do not contain Carrageenan as an ingredient:

EVO 95% Salmon & Herring Canned Dog Food

Innova Lower Fat Adult Canned Dog Food

Innova Large Breed Puppy Canned Dog Food

Innova Large Breed Adult Canned Dog Food

Innova Large Breed Senior Canned Dog Food

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us at your convenience.

Sincerely,

April

Licensed Veterinary Technician

Natura Product Advisor
So they dont use the low grade carrageenan! Thats good news to hear! Now I can have a few more canned choices that I know are safe.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

That's good to know!

I still wish they would replace it completely with a safer alternative. I know it's possible. Petcurean is doing it.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
That's good to know!

I still wish they would replace it completely with a safer alternative. I know it's possible. Petcurean is doing it.
Yea I agree with you there. But at least we know that EVO isnt bad! And its an awesome value compared to most!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the info, and I will ask the makers of Earthborn, Weruva and Merrick. My cat LOVES these brands, and I do try to buy the flavors without Carrageenan but it's tough.
Melfice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Wellness & Ziwipeak email... Complicated... Hate it

So I know I posted an email about Evo saying they didnt use the degraded carrageenan which I originally thought was good but after reading this fairly recent article Im not sure. But I'll get to that in a second.

Wellness informed me that they do not use undegraded carrageenan. But first she gave me the whole spiel of how its been used for decades and has been approved by AAFCO as a "natural" carbohydrate. Well after reading a thread in here about the AAFCO isnt really what they say they are and how other places like the UK are much stricter.... that statement from her really doesnt mean anything to me. So for me they are out.... To pricey anyways...

Ziwipeak however said that their next batch is not going to contain the ingredient in their canned foods!! So way to go for them!! When the "next batch" will be I have no idea but hey thats good they are taking it out entirely.

Next! The article I read explains that carrageenan still poses a risk to contributing to cancer degraded OR undegraded... You can read it for yourselves here:

Carrageenan Just Dont Do It..

For me I guess Im gonna try to stay away from it entirely. The way a few companies are switching to taking it out completely lately then I guess it wont be to long until its ALL out, hopefully. :/

Any other thoughts?

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Weruva does not include it in their foods. Earthborn and Merrick do.... I'm not sure I trust Merrick enough to even care to ask though. I've read a lot of articles on how people have found pieces of hard plastic in their foods... And also mold... On one occasion someone found tiny nails.... Recently too.... And the company didn't really care to do much about it... They pretty much blamed the consumer.... :/ so that doesn't really sit well in my head as far as Merrick goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Wow this is hard choosing the right food for our furry babies
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

your telling me... I wish I lived in the UK.... Stricter standards on everything and I think someone even said its illegal to Falsely advertise products... If that was the case in the US I don't think half the pet foods here would actually be LEGAL... Haha

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Weruva does not include it in their foods. Earthborn and Merrick do.... I'm not sure I trust Merrick enough to even care to ask though. I've read a lot of articles on how people have found pieces of hard plastic in their foods... And also mold... On one occasion someone found tiny nails.... Recently too.... And the company didn't really care to do much about it... They pretty much blamed the consumer.... :/ so that doesn't really sit well in my head as far as Merrick goes...

We feed Rocky and Lily Merrick, no problems yet and they go through a lot of wet and dry. They have also answered any questions that I have asked them, like why pearled barley was still on their 5.5 oz cat food. It is not in the food anymore. You'll find people posting about problems with all pet foods.
Barnaby July ?, 1998-January 15th, 2012
RockyandLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You can get cans with mold in them from any brand. The can didn't seal right. It happens to pet food and human food. Just contact the company and they'll give you a replacement.