Opinions on Tiki Cat brand food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Opinions on Tiki Cat brand food?

So my local mom and pop shop gave me a few samples of Tiki Cat to try on Oz. I gave the Ahi Tuna to him this afternoon. He seemed to really like it...almost a little too much especially for my wallet. I can afford to spend $2 a day for food on him but I'd rather pick the Wellness that feeds him for $1.25 a day. However, the ingredients didn't look too shabby at all. Not sure how I feel about the sunflower seed oil or the fish oil. I should note that my cat does not appear to have any bad reactions to eating fish.

Tuna
Ingredients: Tuna, Tuna Broth, Sunflower Seed Oil. Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Chicken
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Dried Egg, Sunflower Seed Oil, Fish Oil. Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Thoughts? Opinions? I like the minimal amount of ingredients and he does really enjoy the food more than Wellness. At least the tuna which I know should be a treat only.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't know about tiki. I can't find it near me in the stores. However........today I tried solistic chicken and pumpkin in gravy and all three of my babies went absolutely nuts for it! So it is now going in my rotation as well as my earthborn and wellness. By the way, the solistic is the least expensive of the three so that makes us happy campers!
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Sounds great! I was about to go Blue,but...Tiki...
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
I don't know about tiki. I can't find it near me in the stores.
My local shop just started carrying which is why they gave me some samples.

Is Soulistic a Petco brand? The sad thing is that I don't have a local Petco and I only visit one when I have to head to a nearby city.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tiki is a great food, but you have to watch...not all flavors are grain free. I consider it kitty crack along with Weruva. Some of the flavors have 14% protein which is off the charts compared to many other foods. For example, when you open a can of Puka Puka Chicken...it is literally packed with shredded white meat chicken and just a few drops of watery gravy (they call it consomme). But the price does reflect the difference...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniela View Post
My local shop just started carrying which is why they gave me some samples.

Is Soulistic a Petco brand? The sad thing is that I don't have a local Petco and I only visit one when I have to head to a nearby city.
I believe it is. It smells great and looks good too. It would be worth it for the price to pick up what you would need when your in the city. It is grain free as well so I feel really good about giving it to them.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
I don't know about tiki. I can't find it near me in the stores. However........today I tried solistic chicken and pumpkin in gravy and all three of my babies went absolutely nuts for it! So it is now going in my rotation as well as my earthborn and wellness. By the way, the solistic is the least expensive of the three so that makes us happy campers!
Thats my kitties favorite as far as Soulistic goes. They LOVE it. Its made by Weruva for Petco... Great food. and cheap!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If Soulistic is Weruva, I may try him out on Weruva first. Petco is about a 30 minute drive compared to a 5 minute walk. I live in the middle of the metro and you'd think they'd have them near me. Nope, they put all the Petcos on the outskirts of the metro.

Review of the chicken. Oz the picky eater loved it perhaps more than the tuna. Quality is really good. It looks just like human-grade canned white meat chicken.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

On occasion I've bought my cat a can of Tikki, and it looked so good *I* was tempted to eat it!
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

our cats like (but not love) tiki cat. we only get the 2 chicken varieties, one is just chicken, the other is chicken with egg. it's shredded chicken and looks tasty, i don't know why they don't love it!