Stud Tail? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Stud Tail?

Can someone help me figure this out? Back in September I adopted an approximately 2 year old male cat. He was not neutered at the time, so that happened before he came home from the shelter. Since he was neutered almost 2 months ago, he has developed what I think is stud tail: the fur on his tail just above the base is very greasy to the point that it looks wet. I have looked at the skin and it looks fine and the area doesn't smell. The internet says that stud tail happens in unneutered cats, but he did not get it until he was neutered! What is going on? Could it just be from the hormone changes in his body? It looks gross. Not disgusting or anything, but I tend to think of greasy hair as being really icky, even on a cat! I tell him he's like a 13 year old boy who hasn't figured out that he needs to wash his hair every day!

Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It can happen in neutered cats too. Washing with a degreaser such as Groomers Goop can help keep it clean.
spotty cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

But why wouldn't he get it until he was neutered? Bathing his tail is basically the last thing I will ever want to do. He does not like water and we don't even have a bath tub (shower only) so would have to hold him and his scrabbly claws while doing it. I don't plan to wash his tail unless the greasiness becomes a problem. Thanks for the soap suggestion though
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Maybe using kitty wipes, maybe even baby wipes, probably a lot cheaper. Any chance you can trim his claws? Just do the tips, so you don't nick the blood vessel in the nail. I trim my cats claws when they are really sleepy. Sometimes I can do all at the same time, sometimes I have to do it in shifts.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

A greasy kitty.... :Lol: poor thing... I've never heard of a stud tail but that's interesting to know! If you don't want to bath him the kitty wipes sound like an easy good idea! Bathing a cat is kinda a pain... Though I can relate to the not liking the greasy hair... I hate it. Grossness. I gave Godzilla hairball remover once and he got it all over his under chin and his mane.... He was greasy lookin for days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement