Long Hair Cat Maintainence - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Long Hair Cat Maintainence

Hi all,

As some of you know, I recently adopted a long hair tuxedo.

Other than regular weekly brushing and a good diet (which isn't much of a problem), what have you all found to work well to keep the coat in tip top shape and reduce shedding?
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I had a long-haired cat and really, shedding wasn't the problem. I actually found it easier as far as shedding goes, because they tend to shed in clumps that are easier to pick up than individual hairs.

On the other hand, the real challenge is matts. They tend to get them under their "armpit" area and on the backs of their hind legs. If you can find a way to brush those areas regularly, or even shave them, you can head off problems before they start. I wasn't so lucky . . . we had to have our cat sedated and shaved at the vet about once a year.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
I had a long-haired cat and really, shedding wasn't the problem. I actually found it easier as far as shedding goes, because they tend to shed in clumps that are easier to pick up than individual hairs.

On the other hand, the real challenge is matts. They tend to get them under their "armpit" area and on the backs of their hind legs. If you can find a way to brush those areas regularly, or even shave them, you can head off problems before they start. I wasn't so lucky . . . we had to have our cat sedated and shaved at the vet about once a year.
Poor thing...

Oreo had a nasty matt at the shelter that they took care of (they have a Vet and Vet Tech's on staff and on call there).

Would taking her to a professional groomer every 6 months or so also help? Or should I save my money?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have one word for you: furminator. It works wonders on our cat and she has an undercoat too, so getting those hairs out with a regular brush is impossible.
Only way to keep them from getting mats is regular brushing and as October said, watch the er..legpits and backs of legs, Mine gets some under her chin too.
eva026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have a Maine Coon...I don't brush her, I use a comb. It's gets down to the skin much better than a brush. The comb I use has two different teeth lengths that alternate. Her mane, armpits and butt are the biggest problem areas. You can get a potty patch shaved every few months to help that area.

If you really want to keep up with it, then I'd do maintenance on her daily. Or every two days. Weekly isn't enough. I used to have a work at home job that involved a lot of conference calls. I used a head set and I didn't have to talk a lot so I'd mute it....and Holly would get groomed. Her coat was gorgeous during that time because she'd get combed every day, sometimes twice.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I have a Maine Coon...I don't brush her, I use a comb. It's gets down to the skin much better than a brush. The comb I use has two different teeth lengths that alternate. Her mane, armpits and butt are the biggest problem areas. You can get a potty patch shaved every few months to help that area.

If you really want to keep up with it, then I'd do maintenance on her daily. Or every two days. Weekly isn't enough. I used to have a work at home job that involved a lot of conference calls. I used a head set and I didn't have to talk a lot so I'd mute it....and Holly would get groomed. Her coat was gorgeous during that time because she'd get combed every day, sometimes twice.
Thank you!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

I adopted a Persian in February and hopefully yours enjoys grooming more than mine! I still can't groom portions of her. Fortunately her hair is more silky than cottony and we haven't had much issues with matting. I use a greyhound comb on her and give her a treat when we're done. She really should be combed daily but I really need someone to hold her (she tries to wander out of reach while I try to comb with one hand and hold with the other), so she isn't done nearly as often as I would like .. apparently the carpet works great on getting tufts out as I find them lots of places *sigh*.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I recommend this book:

The Natural Cat: The Comprehensive Guide to Optimum Care: Anitra Frazier, Norma Eckroate: 9780452289758: Amazon.com: Books The Natural Cat: The Comprehensive Guide to Optimum Care: Anitra Frazier, Norma Eckroate: 9780452289758: Amazon.com: Books

It's a great read, and while I wouldn't take Anitra's advice re: nutrition or medical issues, she is AMAZING on grooming, esp. longhaired cats--complete with line drawings. She has methods to calm the cat, get them to play along w/ you, etc. Longhaired cats really need to be groomed (and yes, a wide-toothed metal comb is much better than a brush) several times a week (AT LEAST!) to prevent matting.

Last edited by hoofmaiden; 11-13-2012 at 01:44 PM.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
I recommend this book:

The Natural Cat: The Comprehensive Guide to Optimum Care: Anitra Frazier, Norma Eckroate: 9780452289758: Amazon.com: Books

It's a great read, and while I wouldn't take Anitra's advice re: nutrition or medical issues, she is AMAZING on grooming, esp. longhaired cats--complete with line drawings. She has methods to calm the cat, get them to play along w/ you, etc. Longhaired cats really need to be groomed (and yes, a wide-toothed metal comb is much better than a brush) several times a week (AT LEAST!) to prevent matting.
Thanks... Downloaded the book to my kindle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement