Vaccinations.. What is your opinion? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Question Vaccinations.. What is your opinion?

Hey Guys,

I have 1 Male rescue cat who is nearly 4 and 2 young kittens. When I got my rescue (Tinker) he had to have his 'kitten' vaccinations because there were no records of what vaccinations he had had before. The vet said that he would need a booster every year.

I'm sure a few years ago it used to be a booster every 2-3 years?

Do you think annual boosters are a must? Or do you think it's just a way for vets to make more money?

I don't have a problem with the costs but I do care greatly about what is best for my cats and I don't want to pack them full of drugs when it may not be essential.

I've read up a bit about this but people seem to be split down the middle. I get that the kitten vaccinations are a must but some people are saying that after that they build up a good immunity and that every 2-3 years is the best.

I'm in the UK so would also be nice to see opinions from UK, USA and alike

Looking forward to your thoughts
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Usa, west coast here. My two are inside only. They don't meet other cats or any dogs. I do not vaccinate or do any flea products. I see no reason to pump poisons into them that could cause them harm for something that they are unlikely to ever encounter.

My younger cat came with all his boosters done, had he not I would have gotten them done in his kittenhood and then not done any more.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Usa, west coast here. My two are inside only. They don't meet other cats or any dogs. I do not vaccinate or do any flea products. I see no reason to pump poisons into them that could cause them harm for something that they are unlikely to ever encounter.

My younger cat came with all his boosters done, had he not I would have gotten them done in his kittenhood and then not done any more.

Tinker is mainly an indoor cat. He doesn't enjoy going outside for long periods. The only reason I let him out is because he was outside a lot before we had him so I worry that he will miss it or something. The kittens will be inside but there is a part of me that is worried about them wanting to go out with Tinker?

I don't like putting drugs into them, doesn't seem right
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I did kitten shots with my three and that's it. They're indoor. I do minimal vaccination with my dogs as well, puppy shots, year booster, and then titer tests every three years. Rabies every three years because we cross the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If they're going outside at all, or in regular contact with a cat who does, then it's extremely important to vaccinate.

Even if the kittens themselves never go outside they could still be exposed if Tinker were to get into a fight and then come home.

There's two ways you could handle this, IMO.

1. Keep Tinker in, and too bad about liking to go outside. Get the kittens their boosters, and then that's it. They're safe.

2. Let Tinker keep going out (something the kittens will likely want to try as well, btw) and vaccinate as your vet recommends.

Personally I'm not a fan of yearly vaccinations. All my cats got their kitten shots and their rabies...and that'll pretty much be it. Jitzu for sure won't be getting any more because of her compromised immune system, but the other three might get boosters now and again.

That being said, all of mine are indoors only, aside from a little bit of time in their 'cattio' in my backyard. If they were allowed outside I'd have a completely different plan for them. It's a matter of risk assessment, right. If they're vaccinated and outside and they get sent to the pound I'm up a creek and facing a huge fine. And that's aside from the risk of them contracting something! Where I live if your cat is taken to the pound you need to show proof of vaccination to get them back. If you don't have it then the normal fine for 'animal at large' has another one for 'not vaccinating' added to it. That's only for rabies (since it's the only one enforced by law), but still...

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with Library. If they live with a cat who comes and goes they needs to be vaccinated.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A third option would be to have everyone's immunity checked (through blood titration), and only give vaccinations when levels drop below certain levels. You're right that annual booster shots may not be necessary - we now know that immunity lasts a good deal longer than originally thought.

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I'm in Canada. I haven't really looked much into the legalities but my vet said vaccinations aren't mandatory. I only had Oliver dewormed (bc of his health when we rescued him) and he is kept on a monthly shot of Revolution bc he had a relapse with the worms. I checked into vaccines before bringing him to the vet (a year ago so I don't remember) but like others stated, if the cat stays inside with minimal contact with other (possibly infected) cats and dogs then vaccines can be skipped IMO. I'm too put off by the unnecessary implications of them, waste of money for me bc we are vigilant with keeping Oliver inside (he used to live outdoors too, he would LOVE to go out again).

To stimulate Tucker's interest, and distract him from wanting to go out, bring him crispy leaves/acorns/leave his toys out to collect scents to play with or get a kitty harness and take him out supervised (keep in mind, the kittens will REALLY want this as well if you let Tinker out).
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Even though my cat is strictly indoor, I still vaccinate him. I rent so my lease requires up-to-date rabies vaccination which is most of the reason he has it done. The second reason is that in case I need to board him, most places have required up-to-date shots. I do travel for my job occasionally. I've lucked out so far in that most of my friends have been available to watch him for me.

He gets the bare minimum recommended by my vet, though!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My kittens got their kitten shot, one rabies shot and that's it. My older cat was unfortunately vaccinated lots by the previous owner(breeder) but she is not getting anything anymore. Rabies is law here but I refuse to pump cancerous chemicals in my animals. My dog will get her rabies as she obviously goes outside. We unfortunately got conned into giving her these absurd made up vaccines that I very much regret so from now on she gets rabies and that's it.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement