Hairball stuck I think? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Hairball stuck I think?

I think my kitty has a hairball stuck somewhere. He has barely been touching his food for the last 2ish days and has thrown up twice in the last 3 days. He's never thrown up before, and never had an issue with hairballs or sensitive stomach. Haven't changed food recently.

Is there something I can give him without a vet visit or will that be needed? I don't take him for shots or anything so I don't know if the vet will require that.... which I don't want to do.

He is perfectly healthy otherwise. Coat looks great, still his normal level of energy (crazy), meowing, purring, everything is normal except his eating

Thanks
0ozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

How old is he? If he's just a baby (4 months and under) I'd vote to take him to the vet. Things can go down hill quickly if they're very young, and it's possible he swallowed something he shouldn't have that's causing a partial blockage.

If he's a bit older I'd wait another day and keep a close eye on him...then take him to the vet if nothing changes or he gets worse. Cats do sometimes eat things they shouldn't, and kittens are especially prone to doing this. He may pass it on his own, but again he might not. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

He's about 2 1/2 years. I'll wait another day, thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Just got home from work and he hadn't touched his food still. Played with him running around for a few minutes and he stopped and puked in two small spots after a couple minutes. Right back to meowing and playing after though...

So maybe the vet? Worried about my little guy, he must be starving and have no idea whats going on.

The puke looked normal, not sausage like. >> pic
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Have you tried giving a hairball remedy to help him pass the hairball? I think he needs a vet visit. Is he still passing stool? If not passing stool, then he is blocked and that is definitely a vet visit.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

I too think he needs a vet visit because it has been more than a couple of days. Sometimes it's just better to be safe than sorry. Hope all turns out well. Keep us posted.
orrymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

At the very least he's at risk for hepatic lipidosis, not having eaten for several days. And IMO any cat who refuses to eat (when normally they eat well) should be seen by a vet ASAP. Take him in! You will need bloodwork and probably radiographs.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I gave him some laxatone yesterday and today. Last night he started eating a little bit and he has been picking on his food quite a bit all day today. Seems like good improvement. He has gone both 1 and 2 today, although small amounts.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Please get him to the vet ASAP. Get blood work done and urine. He may have a kidney stone. We just lost a cat in the very same circumstances. I may sound an alarmist but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
GrandPolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sorry for the slow response, got in a car accident and have been out the last couple days. After giving him Laxatone he has gotten significantly better. He's back to eating normal after giving him it for 3 days straight and chomping down all his food.

I did take him to the vet a while ago and they said if he showed minor improvements after 1 day of Laxatone, he'll likely get better off it and just continue that. The vet didn't find anything else wrong with him after searching and more or less confirmed what I was thinking and feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement