Fip? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Fip?

So.. a little dilemma, I really need some advice on. I had 3 cats of my own, one was just recently brought to the vet and made UTD on all of his shots, and the other 2 had only had their kitten shots, they are about 2 years old now. We decided to foster for local rescue, and we got 5 kittens. We have a partially finished basement so we kept them downstairs seperate from our kitties and dogs, until they got a little more comfortable, then we gradually brought them upstairs to let them socialize with my other cats and my dogs. They were brought upstairs on thanksgiving and kept up here since then. The saturday after thanksgiving one kitten got adopted and left us, that sunday another kitten got adopted and left us, and then that monday I dropped the one my Mom adopted off to her. So that left me with two... one that we decided to adopt, and sweet Reba who was still up for adoption.

This past sunday we came home from doing errands and I heard a cat throwing up, so I ran over and saw our foster baby Reba throwing up under our computer desk, and I was immediately worried. She also wouldn't eat that night either.. I even tried offering her just wet food, which I thought would be more appetizing because of the smell. She wasn't interested at all. Now this kitten was the craziest of all of them, running around like a maniac... even running across my face at times when we were sleeping. But Monday morning she didn't even come out from under our bed (which is weird in itself -- she usually slept WITH us) and she again wouldn't eat, she just WAS NOT acting like herself, so of course I told our rescue guy and he said to bring her to the vet. Well, I was working and so was my other half, so my Mom who was off that day, ended up taking her in to the vet. They tested her for parvo, and it came back as a very light/weak positive.

Can FIP come up as a false positive for parvo?

The reason why I am saying this is... once Reba was found sick, etc, we had to call the other kittens and their adoptive families and see how they were doing. Charlie, first kitten out of our house, had developed the SAME symptoms. Around the SAME exact time, which was so strange and confusing to us. They sent out for a test, and it came back just yesterday.. turns out he was positive for FIP. He is luckily getting better (but.. from what I am reading -- he still has a death sentence?) We put Reba down based on what the vet was saying (I totally wish I was there at this point because I would've given her the fighting chance she deserved!) but our rescue guy was basing his opinion on what was being told to him. I just wish we held back.

When I went to the animal hospital just yesterday to get my kitten and 2 other kitties checked out and up to date on their distemper, etc... they said that they wouldn't test them for parvo because it could come up as a false positive.. so how accurate are these tests exactly??

I have cleaned all of my floors with bleach and water, I've cleaned out all of their dishes, thrown out almost all of my cat beds. Washed my sheets, brought my comforter to the dry cleaners. I literally removed my big king sized bed from my room and cleaned under there with bleach and water, too. I have been cleaning for 2 days straight.. used lysol wipes on my cat tree, etc..

Few questions; my one above ...

1) Can FIP bring back a false positive for parvo?

2) How long until you think I can foster again?

I may just use the downstairs room as my fostering experience and NOT let them upstairs in contact with my other kitties at all..

Since I now know my kitties could be "carriers" of the coronavirus.

The kitten that was sick hadn't been downstairs while she was sick at all, should I worry about the basement being infested with coronavirus, too? I'm just all around concerned.. and still just oh so confused.

Last edited by doodlebug; 11-14-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Please use the forum default font type, size and color unless you need to emphasize a small section of your post.
savemykissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm sorry but I'm not brilliant with abbreviations but what is FIP?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemykissesx View Post

They sent out for a test, and it came back just yesterday.. turns out he was positive for FIP.
What test was that? As far as I know there is no surefire test for FIP aside from a tissue biopsy, which is usually performed after death.

You can test for coronavirus, but most cats, especially those from multiple cat homes, are positive for coronavirus. Very few cats develop FIP as a result, so a positive coronavirus test doesn't necessarily mean the cat has FIP.

A positive coronavirus result, plus certain bloodwork results can indicate a stronger possibility of FIP, and there are x-rays and other tests that can be done to rule out other possibilities but without surgery you will never know for certain that it's FIP.

So you need to find out what test was actually done and what the results were.
Arkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I guess I may never know... unfortunately I am not in contact with the adoptive home, because I am just the foster mom.. maybe I can ask the rescue guy?

Last edited by doodlebug; 11-14-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Please use the forum default font type, size and color unless you need to emphasize a small section of your post.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sorry to be a pain but please will someone tell me what FIP stands for?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Just so heartbroken... and worried and confused. This feeling stinks big time!

Last edited by doodlebug; 11-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

@Arianwen -> Feline infectious peritonitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks - what worries me is how vague the diagnostic checks seem to be.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't understand, did Reba have testing done? What kind of testing? You're mentioning parvo which makes me more confused...

I've known shelter workers to take home FIP kittens and care for them until they die; they don't allow their own cats in the room... as far as I know, FIP transferring to an adult cat is rare. They have better immune systems, it's mostly a kitten killer.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
I don't understand, did Reba have testing done? What kind of testing? You're mentioning parvo which makes me more confused...

I've known shelter workers to take home FIP kittens and care for them until they die; they don't allow their own cats in the room... as far as I know, FIP transferring to an adult cat is rare. They have better immune systems, it's mostly a kitten killer.
You are probably talking about FIV. They are completely different diseases.
Arkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement