Greens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
tgw
Cat

Default Greens

I bought the tub where you add water and the greens grow for the cat to eat. Our cat nibbles a little bit but for the most part the greens go to waste. Is there some kind of greens I can buy at the supermarket that the cat will eat?
tgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm wondering what "greens" are... some sort of grass? You can often find fully grown "cat grass" at pet stores. If the cat isn't interested, don't bother buying it though... my experience with store bought grasses is they look great in the store, but the cat mows them down immediately and it dies or the seeds get mold, which is gross. They don't look healthy for long.

What we did once was cut out a piece of grass with several inches of soil from a back area of the yard. Let the cat eat away... then put it back.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm not sure why it's necessary to give a kitty greens. I have read that when cats eat grass, it's to flush out their system, since they usually throw up afterwards, but do cats eat grass in the wild? I did try catnip grass a couple of times - is that what you have? - and no one was remotely interested. Margaux likes to crunch dry leaves that fall off my plants or that blow onto the deck. She invariably throws up afterwards, so I try to pick them up as soon as I spot them.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
tgw
Cat

Thanks for the replies. Yes, greens are grass like plants, but our Emily does not seem interested, which I guess is good since she is not throwing up now. A couple of months ago she was, but then we gave her two treatments of deworming medicine, and now she seems fine.
tgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
I'm not sure why it's necessary to give a kitty greens. I have read that when cats eat grass, it's to flush out their system, since they usually throw up afterwards, but do cats eat grass in the wild? I did try catnip grass a couple of times - is that what you have? - and no one was remotely interested. Margaux likes to crunch dry leaves that fall off my plants or that blow onto the deck. She invariably throws up afterwards, so I try to pick them up as soon as I spot them.
When I got Zenobi and she went outside she was looking for something. There's a type of grass that (some) cats like. I found a piece and offered it to her. She came close to taking my finger with it so fast did she snatch at it. Thereafter she always looked for the same kind. It's a sort of blade grass that looks as if it has been folded at some time. It's rough and has sharp, cut your finger edges.

I grew grass for Missy, an indoor cat, but she would throw it up so I quit growing it for her. I think the grass is wild oats, or maybe any kind of oats. My pet store sells it as growing and as seeds. It seems to be different from the outside stuff.

Last edited by jusjim; 11-17-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
jusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My indoor / outdoor ones browse greenery in the garden - not in huge quantities but they do nibble and don't normally throw up afterwards either.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgw View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, greens are grass like plants, but our Emily does not seem interested, which I guess is good since she is not throwing up now. A couple of months ago she was, but then we gave her two treatments of deworming medicine, and now she seems fine.
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here. Did you give the greens initially because you thought she had worms?

Cat grass (the kind you find in the pet stores) is a fun treat for my cats. They will nibble on it and it does not seem to upset their stomachs. I have done some extensive research on the nutritional value of the cat grass. There does not seem to be any, at least not that I can find. If your cat isn't interested in it, I wouldn't worry about it. Cats are obligate carnivores anyway and greens are not normally part of their diet.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Huh what about kitty catnip what is catnip for anyways?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilykit View Post
Huh what about kitty catnip what is catnip for anyways?
Well, everyone likes to have fun and relax.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
Well, everyone likes to have fun and relax.
Cheers!
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement