How often to you take your cat to the vet? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

as of late I have been to the vets 4 times with Dexter 1st when we found him to get him checked over 2nd 3rd for his first jabs & 4th for his vomiting and I will be taking him again tomorrow (vomiting), depends on the cat & it's health but if Dexter is okay and well after his next visit I will only be taking him if he needs to & his yearly vaccination.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kit
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm still very undecided, but I have lots of time to think about it. When I lived at home we never took the cats to the vet unless there was a problem, and with the first cat that was once when she somehow managed to cut herself on the stomach. She passed away at 19 years. The cat they have now is 8 I believe, and has never gone except when she was spayed at 1 year. Still healthy as ever.

But it's different now that I personally am responsible for my babies. I don't think I will get them vaccinated yearly, as I don't really see the point since they're completely indoor. But as for checkups... just not sure.

I do like the idea of taking them more often once they're older though. Maybe that's what we'll decide to do.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I take them (since they have all been feral) initially, and shot updates, otherwise only if they get abscesses from fights or if they appear unwell.
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
But it's different now that I personally am responsible for my babies. I don't think I will get them vaccinated yearly, as I don't really see the point since they're completely indoor. But as for checkups... just not sure.
The checkup consists of looking in their eyes and ears, looking for fleas, weighing them, taking their temp, and listening to the heart. All but the last you can do yourself at home just as well as a vet can. The latter is unecessary unless the cat has a known heart problem (which is most likely to be diagnosed b/c the cat is acting funny than in an annual exam). And honestly, most vets do only the most cursory exam anyway--the main reason the cat is there is for vaccs.

Again, there IS a reason to take older cats in--annual, and then twice-yearly labwork. But there is really nothing that is done in the annual exam that you can't do yourself!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Every six months, for well checks. And of course if they become ill or injured beyond what I can handle on my own.

Every six months for a few reasons. So my vet is familiar with them, and what they look like healthy, she'll be more likely to notice something amiss that I, not being a trained vet, might miss. So they are more familiar with the process, and it isn't as stressful as it might be if they only went once every year or less. So if something (such as a dental problem) happens to develop shortly AFTER a vet appointment, the cat will not have to suffer with a bad tooth (or whatever) for almost a whole year before it is noticed.

Cats are notorious for hiding pain, including things like dental problems.

So, since I can afford the small appointment fee twice a year per cat, I take them every six months.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

Every couple weeks for their kitten shots ;3
Or randomly, to vist the receptionist. (I work there, and she loves kittens)

After that, I plan to take them in yearly for shots and wellnes exams.

Or, also, as-needed..if they have problems or something.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

How many vaccines are they getting? :s

Last edited by marie73; 11-19-2012 at 12:47 AM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
How many vaccines are they getting? :s
Three sets of Feline Distemper vaccine, and I forget how many is recommended for Rabies.

They haven't started it yet, 'cuz they are underage.
Next time they're getting their last distemper, and their first Rabies.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

My 4 are indoor only cats. They go in for well checks and shots as needed twice a year. I could probably do with once a year but I have 2 dogs that go out several times daily so as a precaution I take the cats in twice throughout the year.

My senior girl has been in quite a bit more this past year but she has issues that need to be addressed so more trips are necessary for her.

Last edited by marie73; 11-19-2012 at 12:47 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My guys go at the very least 1/year for check-ups. If anything happens in between the time of their yearly exams, they go then also.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement