How often to you take your cat to the vet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kit
Jr. Cat

Default How often to you take your cat to the vet?

I have been reading up about this but I find mixed opinions everywhere. Some people take them yearly, some take them every two years. Some people only take them when an issue arises.

I have two completely indoor cats who will not be in contact with any others. Money is not really an issue, but I myself don't even go to the doctor's every year. I understand it's different when a human life is depending on me though, so that's why I want to do right by this.

I guess taking them every year wouldn't hurt, but it's so stressful for them. We've had to take them for their rabies shot and last kitten booster (separately as rabies was free from the shelter) and the kitties were so scared. One of them was trembling in my arms! It broke my heart.

So what do you guys do with your cats?
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yearly checkups don't consist of much, unless you're getting vaccinations, and many people don't. When a cat gets older, a yearly checkup would be a good idea. However if you want to err on the side of caution and money isn't an issue, yearly would be the way to go.

I personally haven't taken one of my cats to the vet since he was neutered as a kitten and got his first shots. That was 17 years ago. He's been indoor his whole life (except a few trips outside the last year or so) and never exposed to anything. He is an absolute wreck anywhere foreign, terrified of strangers, and just putting him in a cage causes him to pee in it from fright. I think the trip would do more damage than good in his case, as he seems otherwise healthy. My aunt's cat died of a heart attack at the vets... now the cat was of course old and failing, but that was not a nice way to go.

My other cat is indoor/outdoor, so she goes more often, a few times for medical conditions due to outdoor life too; abscesses and stuff. But she bizarrely takes going to the vets like a great adventure. Walks out of her cage, tail high, greets the vet. Strangest thing ever, since at home she totally ignores strangers.

So depends on you, your cat, and what you want to do. Some places require yearly vaccinations, but as was discussed in another thread not long ago, it's not like people are going door to door to make sure.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Mine don't go in unless something's wrong (I handle my own medical care the same way) until they are 10-11. At that point, they start going in annually for labwork (to catch problems early). At 14 they get labwork done every 6 mos. I do not vaccinate.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I adopted my cat in February and she got all her shots then as I wasn't sure what (if anything) she had had. Obviously I can't go by the previous owner who said she was spayed .. she wasn't ugh. Having said that, I don't plan to take her back in except for illness. My dog I normally take in yearly as he does routinely go to the groomers and I feel better knowing he's immunized.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I personally don't go to the doc or take medicine unnecessarily too. I know how antibiotic makes me even real sick, so I do believe in prevention and whatever holistic approach, be it for myself or my pets (fishes/cat). My fishes are hardly sick, cos I maintain good water quality and feed well. As for my 1st cat, ET, being 1st time owner, I learn as much as I can in terms of keeping him in good health, physically and mentally. He had his occasional eye problem which I used colloidal silver and that just did it without a trip to the vet. I have had ET for only 11mths, so he only had 1 trip to the vet for his vaccination and I have no intention to bring him in for yearly vaccination, 2-3 yrs maybe.
snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cat gets rabies vaccine/routine exam once a year. I've never actually taken her to the vet for anything but vaccine/routine exam. She's never been ill.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I only take them in if they are ill. My oldest (6.5) I adopted in April and never had to take her to the vet at all (yet). My dog I take every year for heart worm testing and rabies.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I've had Tucker since February and I've taken him to the vet a few times. The first time was to finish up his boosters. The second time was because he had a lot of eye puss (wanted to make sure he didn't have Hepatitis since he came from a shelter environment. Luckily he checked out okay.) The other two times were due to problems with his stool (he had blood in his stool so I was concerned for his health). I'm an overly cautious owner maybe, but most shelters here require a good vet reference in order to adopt. I probably won't take him to the vet again for a while though, I know what causes some of the issues he's had so I'm more confident in my ability to care for him. Ultimately, that's what matters.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I take Cooper and Cole in every year for their rabies vaccination and yearly exam. I have to start taking Chloe in every 4 months to keep an eye on her kidney health.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Generally once a year for an annual exam.