How much to feed my growing kittens? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default How much to feed my growing kittens?

I recently rescued two Siamese mix kittens, brothers and roughly 7 weeks old, off the streets.

They were skinny and full of worms..one of them had a terrible eye infection, and surgical removal of the eye was talked about for a small period of time.

Now they are healthy, happy, and playful. Normal body condition, parasite-free ~11 weeks old kittens. And between the two they're eating ~4 3oz cans of kitten Wellness, as well as 2 cups of Royal Canin babycat dry food per day.. mixed in with the dry food, there are hairball control and dental health Greenies..(I did that.)

Is that okay? I work at a vet clinic and also at a feline rescue, but I've never actually had a kitten before, so this is all new territory for me.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Here are my babies<3

Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Kittens will eat you out of house and home. All wet diet is recommended, and Royal Canin isn't that great anyway (but its expensive!)

I'd wean them off the dry and serve more wet. I wouldn't be shocked to see them eating 8-10oz of wet food each per day. If you need to keep feeding dry, there are plenty of recommendations on these forums for food that are better than royal canin and usually cheaper.

Basically, feed a kitten as much as they'll eat per sitting around 3 times a day. Don't start to limit them until they approach around a year.

My kitten is around 9 months now and we're starting to play with food amounts now. Until now, he ate as much as a second boyfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I don't feed Royal Canin wet, just the dry. Mainly because they needed to gain weight, they have free-eat of dry. Now it's mainly because they like it and I haven't run out yet @.@

I feed kitten Wellness for wet food, but what would you recommend?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have two brothers that we rescued too and they are Siamese/Himalayans... they are about 8 weeks old right now... I feed them dry food and wet food mixed. Dry food - taste of the wild or Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul... Wet food varies depending on what is available. We live in a small town and sometimes it is hard to get great quality... I mix their food together and free feed them. If the bowl is empty, I fill it up... they are doing great with it. Congrats on saving your boys! I can't imagine not having mine now... I love them!
RiddickandAgador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Wellness is a great quality wet food. Weruva is very good. BFF if you don't mind feeding fish. There are lots of good options. Anything that has real meats, little or no grain, and a high protein content. Stay away from meat by products and high-carb contents.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I second wet food only but kittens eat a ton so I understand why you might need to feed them a little dry. If you want to feed them a little dry, I would suggest you get a high quality grain-free food. Royal Canin really isn't much better than what you can buy at a grocery store but it's 5x the cost.

Wellness kitten is good. You might want to give them a variety though. Wellness CORE has several flavors and they're all grain-free. I would avoid for the fish flavors for now as they can get addicted and mercury is a concern as well. Merrick Before Grain and Nature's Variety Instinct are other brads I would suggest.

If you want to feed dry food, I would suggest Petcurean Go! Fit + Free or Now! Fresh Kitten. The latter has more carbs so I would be my second choice. There's also Orijen Cat & Kitten which is excellent and many other good brands like Wellness CORE and Nature's Variety Instinct.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

I looked into Weruva.. totally unsuitable for kitten food at only 59 kcals per can..(Wellness kitten has 122). The Weruva website even states that they don't make food for Kittens (or puppies)...

Maybe when they're older. I had to go buy some more Wellness today anyway, so I grabbed 3 3oz cans of Paw Lickin Chicken Weruva, to see what it looked like IRL (just like their online pictures) and see if my babies like it. (they do) Welp, now I know what to feed them when they get older at least XD

They seem to have sensitive stomachs.. my fallback food is Feline I/D.
Tyson just made me some nasty diarrhea..presumably because of the 1/2 can of Weruva he just devoured..he then stepped in it and ran to jump into my lap..lovely.

Idk what to do with these poor babies. I don't think feeding a variety would be good for them, because their poor tummies can't handle even a different brand of chicken-based food. x.x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement