My cat is vomiting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Exclamation My cat is vomiting

for about 16 hours was very frequent to start off with and now it is ever 2 -3 hours that he is sick again, he was last sick at 9 this morning and has just been sick again now at 14:35 we found lumps of blue plastic in his vomit, so we figured that it is just him puking up what he has eaten there is no blood or anything worrying in his vomit other than the occasional bit of blue plastic I have taken away his normal cat food and replaced it with plain turkey & rice, which he hasn't touched all day.

please note that the blue plastic is the cover the dry cleaners use to cover up a garment not thick just thin we know he hasn't eaten much of it as we have seen how much was bitten,

I will just add we have taken him to the vet around 2 weeks ago as he was vomiting non stop the vet gave him 2 anti sickness injections and that was it he was sick again one time but that is because he ate too fast and now this,

I got really worried about him so i dabbed my finger in water and placed it on his lips so he could have some moisture thats when he was sick at 14:35

any help?
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Call your vet and let him know.

If you are concerned about him eating, you could force-feed some watered down pate cat food in a syringe (no needle, obviously). Squirt into the side of his mouth and not down his throat.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I did call the vet they said i could get him booked in, but she said put plain meat and rice for him I am hoping he will either poop it all out or puke it out if he is still vomiting tomorrow I will obviously take him to the vet

and Dexter wont let me do anything like that he fights and is really stubborn when he has to have an injection he fights and makes a big fuss thats why i haven't taken him to the vet today as if it is just the matter of him passing the plastic i don't want to put him through having injections and the stress of the journey there.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Good luck; I hope that he manages to get all of the plastic out of his system and that he's back to his normal self after that. Did he eat something funny the last time he was throwing up?
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I see in another post you have already called the vet again. That is a good thing. Try wrapping him in a warm towel to help him feel comfortable and at least try to do eyedrops of water to hydrate him. His not eating is a concern and most concern is his hydration. I wish you the best of luck and post an update when you find anything out. The vet is the one that will be able to give you the best advice but he does need to be hydrated.

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2012 at 01:04 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Update took him to the out of hours vet last night he couldn't find anything extremely wrong with Dexter, also checked for any obstruction there was nothing that they could feel, he had 2 injections again anti sickness and an antibiotic he also had a medicine to settle his stomach, Dexter has drank water since being home but not touched his food I have tried turkey & now tuna he is having none of it,

if he starts vomiting again then they said they will look into it more we think it's the food we have put him on maybe he can't tolerate some of the fillers & grains i am not sure yet I have a feeling this is going to happen again =[

Oh and I am taking him back to the vet today for a check up after last night.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

I can't seem to edit my post so another update spoke to the vet they said as he isn't eating keep an eye on him as long as he is drinking it is okay and if his circumstances change then it's back to the vets =[

Dexter is just laying down sleeping not his usual playful self

I think he has an intolerance to grain in his food so now I have to find a food that wont make him sick.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

So he really hasn't eaten since Thursday? That is a huge red flag.
The only way to tell if they is an obstruction is an Xray and/or ultraound of the abdomen. Based on his symptoms, I don't see how they can rule it out.

And I say this of the owner/parent of a Golden Retriever who had two major surgeries for obstructions and fortunately puked up two other potential obstructing items. Ben almost died from the first obstruction. The vets kept saying he was okay (three vets in two states, over a long Christmas holiday weekend), I knew he wasn't okay. Within an hour of arriving at the surgeon, they had him in surgery.

Good luck and positive thoughts.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Dexter has just been sick again (yellow bile), called the vet she said that his sickness jab is waring off now and it's normal, he is drinking and sniffing his food we put down, the vets have said he has a food allergy which I think is rice and other grains just giving him a teaspoon chicken see if he will eat it.

As it is not life threatening (what they claim to be life threatening) there is no reason for me to take him in unless I feel he should be seen. Other than him being a little down in spirit he is alert and aware of what is going on he just wants to curl up and be left alone, (not that I am going to take my eyes off him) oh he also had a little wee today so thats a bit of progress !

EDIT: they may put him on a prescription food.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I am SO glad he is drinking and done a little litter business. Is this food allergy business something new or has this been a suspicion all along? I sure hope he eats something soon.

Last edited by marie73; 11-25-2012 at 02:33 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement